• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FE Written

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're in the pool and in this situation, I would give KD a call before you go and re-take it.

While it won't hurt to call her, its been beaten to death during my newhire class and on these boards several times.

You WILL absolutely, positively have to have a current FE written to start training at FedEx. It can't expire during training either.

It sux I know (I ended up taking the FE written 3 times over the years) but it is still a very small price to pay to get into this gig.

Good luck. Also please let us know what she says if you do call KD. I'd hate to be giving out bad gouge.

FJ

FAA requirements as to time limit...

Here is what the FAA says - of course, Fedex can require a higher standard if they want.

from PART 63—CERTIFICATION: FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS OTHER THAN PILOTS

63.35 - Knowledge requirements:
(a)-(d) - I took these out, as it just says what needs to be known..

(d) An applicant for a flight engineer certificate or rating must have passed the written tests required by paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which the flight is taken. However, this limitation does not apply to an applicant for a flight engineer certificate or rating if—
(1) The applicant—
(i) Within the period ending 24 calendar months after the month in which the applicant passed the written test, is employed as a flight crewmember or mechanic by a U.S. air carrier or commercial operator operating either under part 121 or as a commuter air carrier under part 135 (as defined in part 298 of this title) and is employed by such a certificate holder at the time of the flight test;
(ii) If employed as a flight crewmember, has completed initial training, and, if appropriate, transition or upgrade training; and
(iii) Meets the recurrent training requirements of the applicable part or, for mechanics, meets the recency of experience requirements of part 65; or
(2) Within the period ending 24 calendar months after the month in which the applicant passed the written test, the applicant participated in a flight engineer or maintenance training program of a U.S. scheduled military air transportation service and is currently participating in that program.
(e) An air carrier or commercial operator with an approved training program under part 121 of this chapter may, when authorized by the Administrator, provide as part of that program a written test that it may administer to satisfy the test required for an additional rating under paragraph (b) of this section.

Here is what the FAA says - of course, Fedex can require a higher standard if they want.

from PART 63—CERTIFICATION: FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS OTHER THAN PILOTS

63.35 - Knowledge requirements:
(a)-(d) - I took these out, as it just says what needs to be known..

(d) An applicant for a flight engineer certificate or rating must have passed the written tests required by paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which the flight is taken. However, this limitation does not apply to an applicant for a flight engineer certificate or rating if—
(1) The applicant—
(i) Within the period ending 24 calendar months after the month in which the applicant passed the written test, is employed as a flight crewmember or mechanic by a U.S. air carrier or commercial operator operating either under part 121 or as a commuter air carrier under part 135 (as defined in part 298 of this title) and is employed by such a certificate holder at the time of the flight test;
(ii) If employed as a flight crewmember, has completed initial training, and, if appropriate, transition or upgrade training; and
(iii) Meets the recurrent training requirements of the applicable part or, for mechanics, meets the recency of experience requirements of part 65; or
(2) Within the period ending 24 calendar months after the month in which the applicant passed the written test, the applicant participated in a flight engineer or maintenance training program of a U.S. scheduled military air transportation service and is currently participating in that program.
(e) An air carrier or commercial operator with an approved training program under part 121 of this chapter may, when authorized by the Administrator, provide as part of that program a written test that it may administer to satisfy the test required for an additional rating under paragraph (b) of this section.

No argument over the FARs.

I think that FedEx interpets the highlighted part to mean continuous employment with the same employer and that is why they don't accept the waiver, but again I'm not sure.

What I do know is that the 6 o'clock flight was the first flight off the island.

I'm pretty sure you need a current written, again please let us know if KD says differently.

FJ

I'm not interested in Fedex. Sorry I asked.

I'm not interested in Fedex. Sorry I asked.

Most of the FedEx rhetoric is in response to DiamondZ's question.

If I recall correctly, which is a long-shot at best: If you can make it to day 1 with a current FE written, then they will extend it. Short of that you'd have to retake it...but again, check with KD to be sure.

WMS-if you don't want to work at FedEx, then F-U, go work at SWA[joke from another thread]

Lighten up Francis! I've got nothin' against Fedex. I'm just sorry a simple question led to such a discussion. Who would've thought something would get so blown out of proportion on FI.com.

I get it. I just read the other thread. Oh brother!

I wholeheartedly recommend Sheppard Air (no I don't work there). I did both my ATP and FE for a FRACTION of what it would have cost at All ATP. Studied on my own for a week (each), got a 100 and 99 respectively. Very simple. Good luck!

http://www.sheppardair.com/

Latest resources

Back