FE time -- What is it really worth??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dingo222

Quick question here for those in the know. I was offered a job as a new SO (FE) and also have an offer at Ameriflight logging PIC starting in the Chieftain. Just passed the 1500 mark, and have nothing but the usual CFI times etc. Is the SO thing worth it, or should I just suck it up and get the PIC? any advise would help, thanks!

When I had less than 1,000 hrs pilot time, my 5,840 FE hours opened lots of doors that would have been otherwise closed to low timers. If it leads to an FO upgrade it could be well worth the effort. Good luck

Fe/so

Lifestyle will be 100X better taking the FE job and alot more fun especially if your flying international. The main thing is how fast you can upgrade, if its two years or less I think its a no-brainer. I was in the same situation a couple years ago, its worked out good for me now. I love the 2 weeks on 2 weeks off schedule most cargo airlines have. Its about what you want. Some people are in hot persuit of PIC...I dont think its worth giving up a decent way of life for though. I try to ask myself what will make me happy in the long run, which in aviation is 18-24 months right now.
Good luck

My FE time also opened a few doors. The big question is how long until you can go to the right seat. I had a great time as a 747 FE, now it's paying off in an FO position.

I've flown FE before. In my opinion, in today's aviation, anything more than 900 hours of sitting sideways you mine just as well sit backwards in FA seat. Sitting FE you get to see everything going on and catch any mistakes the front guys might make. However, meanwhile your flying skills are heading down the tubes. I'd make sure the upgrade to FO is within a year or forget it. Get as much PIC time as you can get and move to a corporate jet with "GLASS" ASAP! Now there is nothing wrong with being a PFE, its a pretty good life, but I don't think you want that. Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:
RE: Fox Bravo's post...

If there are any PFE's out there that can
afford it, come to Region's Air and sit in
the jetpig and get some time. It was so
refreshing to fly with a new guy that knew
the ropes already instead of some completely
green former bugsmasher that was gagga
about anything without pistons! (Ya done
good my brother!)

Believe it or not I would say the same about
a former FA too...

They both rock!

If I can just find somewhere to sample some
Talisker...

Last edited:
Essentially nothing. 10 years ago it was a shortcut to getting jet time, but that's no longer true. If Ameriflight has jets you would probably get to the right seat faster there and the Chieftan PIC is much more valuable than FE time.

If you go to Ameriflight you can probably get a job at a regional within 6 months. In the meantime you're building some valuable flying experience.

If you take the FE position you have to ask yourself what happens if you get stuck sitting sideways for a couple of years. There are no guarantees in this business. If the company loses some flying forget about moving to the right seat. You could even get furloughed.

At this stage of your career I'd suggest Ameriflight.

Latest resources

Back