FE Requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leftseat10

OK help me out please. I'm trying to decifer FAR 63.37(b) as it pertains to obtaining a flight engineer rating. I'm happy with having the written portion only, I'm just curious how one would obtain the full rating in my situation. I meet the requirements of 14 CFR 63.37(b)(5) (I'm a military heavy pilot). According to the ASA 2002 Flight Engineer Test Prep book, p. xvi:

"The flight training must be completed in the airplane type which will be used for the tests...(Last sentence) There is no minimum amount of flight time specified for applicants qualifying under the provisions of section 63.37(b) subparagraphs (5) and (6).

Any takers?

If you already have one of the F/E written preps it will tell you right in the front of the book what is req. Namely an A&P cert or a Comm license with an Intsrument rating. No signs off required for this test, if anyone says different they are full of it. But better yet why do you wanna get an F/E ticket? The three man a/c is a dying breed and most places nowadays will hire professional F/Es ...if you can find one. Plus most airlines nowadays wont let you can F/E time toward total time, so the time is pretty much worthless other than for a paycheck. I will sell you my F/E ticket...i dont wanna ever go back to the panel its just short of torture.

Leftseat,
I'm not really sure what you're asking. To get an FE certificate (it's not a rating, it's a seperate certificate) you need to pass the FE knowledge exam. There are three flavors; FE reciprocating engine, FE turboprop, and FE turbojet. then you need to complete approved ground and flight training. this is usually provided by your employer, although I understand that there are commercial schoold that you can go to for a 727 FE course (for example) After you complete the training you take a checkride. this consistes of an oral, a preflight and a flight portion. Does that answer your question?

Gotcha

Yes, thanks for the replies. I'll be happy with the written, can't hurt while FedEx et al are still flying 727s and DC-10s...

Apparently, you must also be pretty good with the autopilot and radios, as both your Capt. and FO will routinely doze off and you will be PIC for cruise (see the "pilots reach snooze altitude thread). :)

-Boo!

Latest resources

Back