FDX/DL, CASS, and you

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stonewall

Tried to jump on DL out of ATL a couple weeks ago. They couldn't find me in CASS, and the gate agent said my airline must not participate. I know that ain't true.

I've heard all kinds of rumor and hearsay, but what is DL's j/s relationship with FDX? Will they only let one jumper on? What about empty seats in the back? How come they won't fill the seats up with jumpseaters if the seats are available? Do we have a CASS arrangement with DL?

It usually doesn't affect me, but I'm trying to to j/s to VPS in a couple weeks. DL is pretty much the best way to get there, but I'm wondering if I should go through somewhere other than ATL. Thanks in advance!

An alaska buddy of mine called the Fedex 800 number to list and they told him that even though alaska is in CASS, alaska is NOT allowed. Is this true?

SF3CA

I don't think so. Our ALPA pocket calendar lists Alaska as an airline we have a reciprocal agreement with.

Delta Jumpseats and FDX

I pulled this off the Web Page...doesn't look we have an reciprocal CASS agreement with DELTA mainline. ALPA calendar says ASA (Delta VPS carrier) has a multiple j/s agreement.
.......................................................................................................
The following is a list of approved airlines with whom we have reciprocal CASS jumpseat agreements. They are both passport and picture capable. The TSA has mandated that both will be required in late 2006; however, FedEx requires both of these data capabilities now.
ABX
Aloha
American
American Eagle
Atlas
Continental
Executive
Hawaiian Airlines
Jet Blue
Midwest
Northwest
Polar
Southwest
United
UPS

I pulled up our latest jumpseat agreement from D/Alpa. Fedex is airline #31 with an H-3 priority. So you guys are on there. We only have flowback agreements with Southwest and American (where we can take as many jumpseaters as open seats). All other airlines we can only take the number of jumpseats. Yes it's a stupid rule but it's management not us. Now about CASS. If you are CASS you can sit up front however we have some gate agents with some growing pains right now. Here are some situations that I've seen recently:

1. A DCI pilot wants to jumpseat and the gate agent asks for a passport, which they are not required to carrry because they are DCI.

2. A non CASS jumpseater is turned away by a gate agent because they don't have a passport, which doesn't matter because they have to sit in the back any way.

3. Any OAL jumpseater is turned away because the gate agent is worn out in ATL and just doesn't care.

Now I know we can't jumpseat on FedEX right now because we don't have electronic photos sent with our verification. I don't think this has anything to do with you guys jumpseating on us though.

Good luck on the VPS route. We have a lot of guys that commute that route.

FWIW, I ran into the same situation in ATL in Nov. or Dec. Gate agent was very helpful, but found, after actually checking on her computer, that FedEx was not on the CASS list. Called Jumpseat Admin. at FedEx and this was verified - FedEx is not (at least a few months ago) on the CASS system for DL.

HOWEVER, I still got on the flight because the gate agent told me that they have a "flowback" deal where they will put you on as long as there is a seat available in the back.

Perhaps, as DAL737FO said, this has been changed recently.

Good luck!

DAL737FO said:
I pulled up our latest jumpseat agreement from D/Alpa. Fedex is airline #31 with an H-3 priority. So you guys are on there. We only have flowback agreements with Southwest and American (where we can take as many jumpseaters as open seats). All other airlines we can only take the number of jumpseats.

So you let as many AA and LUV pilots jumpseat as you have open seats. Yet you turn your back on the ALPA carriers??? WTFO!!! What is even more hilarious is that we at UA and those at US take as many DLoids as show up. We don't maintain limited and unlimited agreements yet AA and LUV do.

What is the logic??? Somebody must know why DL woud screw the ALPA carriers.

"What is the logic??? Somebody must know why DL woud screw the ALPA carriers."

Whoa! Perhaps it's not under the control of the pilots! Contrary to what some may think, pilots don't get to make all the policy decisions at their airlines.

Of course they do! Its all negotiated. When DL reduced the flying out of DFW, they needed someone to commute on, who are the big dogs in Dallas? AA and WN. There's your answer.

MAGNUM!! said:
It usually doesn't affect me, but I'm trying to to j/s to VPS in a couple weeks. DL is pretty much the best way to get there, but I'm wondering if I should go through somewhere other than ATL. Thanks in advance!

As far as getting from ATL to VPS, most of the flights are ASA, not the mainline. All of the 4xxx flights to VPS are ASA. ASA is non-CASS, but will take as many jumpseaters in the back as there are open seats (usual CRJ W&B issues aside).

Gummo

Latest resources

Back