Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Deuce130

Durka Durka Jihad!
Anyone have any thoughts on how the current "fuel crisis" could impact contract negotiations? I can't help but think MGT could use this as a bargaining chip. Any ideas on how this affects the MEC position, if at all??

my understanding...

We actually pass on increased fuel costs to the customers through a fuel surcharge. I don't think it will change anything with pilot negotiations.

That's just me.

Goose17

Goose17 said:
We actually pass on increased fuel costs to the customers through a fuel surcharge.

What an interesting concept!!

I wish the passenger carriers were that forward thinking.

1964--Anchorage earthquake. Entire communities decimated.

Boom followed. Reconstruction. New jobs. More people aware of opportunities in AK.

I see a similar prospect here. New Orleans may live or die, but south LA and Mississippi Gulf Coast will see a boom in production/restoration projects. Lumber yards, concrete companies, car makers (how many cars got sunk anyway) will see a mini-boom in demand. (Stinks to be me with a bunch of house projects on hold--it will be hard to find help and materials will be expensive).

Everyone is commenting on need for new refineries. I imagine the American public will demand some growth here. ANWR a big issue? C'mon...I'll bet we see a lot more drilling and exploration. A lot of oil/gas business will go into the ports of LA and MISS.

So...where does this leave us? I am optimistic by nature, and I know there are a lot of displaced thugs and criminals who will now be looking for new digs. However, I also think there also a huge number of good folks who will be needing all kinds of materials, support, and infrastructure in the area over the next few years to build new homes and businesses, and I think there will be a lot of money made and a lot of businesses that will provide those goods.

Deuce--our company will be shipping a lot of those goods. Gas will be higher, but our company grows with business expansions.

Yeah...I'm a perpetual optimist. But I used to go to high school football games in an awesome stadium built by the WPA in the depression, and I enjoyed many facilities in my Appalchian hometown that were built by the WPA in the pre-WWII years. Americans find a way to rebuild, and while I make no predictions on the future of downtown New Orleans I think the Hammonds and Slidells and Lafayettes of the area are about to have a huge boom.

I think I also heard that, some days people complain "well it was 10 bucks 2 weeks ago". My understanding is that the rates do change due to fuel, I can only see this affecting major express shipments though and not so much ground.

I grew up in a WPA planned community (Trussville, Alabama). The houses are now about 70 years old and now start at about 250k. They were all hand built with lots of detail to maximize the labor involved.

As for change, we've decided to sell all our gas cars and buy diesels. We're going to put in a home bio-diesel tank. Anybody else want to split a truck delivery down here in LA?

The Captain I flew with yesterday was an MEC member. He said that he wouldn't be surprised if the company tries to plead poverty because of what could happen in coming months. However, doesn't really matter what the excuse is, it's very hard for the company to plead poverty on any level, but just one more thing they may try.

Now the impotant message, and PLEASE GET THE WORD OUT. The informational picketing scheduled for 26 Sep at the annual shareholders meeting is unbelievably important. He said the turnout could directly affect the progress in negotiations. The company is up in arms about the informational picketing, and it seems to be showing results at the table. We have made more progress in the last 45 days at the table than in the entire year prior. The company doesn't like the negative publicity and has asked the moderator why this is continuing - his response was that it is the only LEGAL thing we can do right now. He is right and it is WORKING. If you are not flying on the 26th, you absolutely MUST attend, I'm commuting in for it. This particular MEC member said if we could get 1500 plus guys, we would be sending an incredible message to the company and it could be a turning point.

Also, if you are a shareholder, fill out your proxy to attend the meeting, those of us who hold 1 share or more will march in behind Dave Webb and sit in on the meeting and Dave has a question or two to ask. Guys, this could be HUGE. Please PASS THE WORD.

Off my union soapbox...

Last edited:
F18-FDX said:
Also, if you are a shareholder, fill out your proxy to attend the meeting, those of us who hold 1 share or more will march in behind Dave Webb and sit in on the meeting and Dave has a question or two to ask. Guys, this could be HUGE. Please PASS THE WORD.
There's nothing to fill out - - it's a ticket that you must TAKE with you. You should have received a "Proxy and 2005 Annual Report" package (app 9" x 12" x 3/8") by US mail several days ago. Your name and address appears in a clear window on the lower left-hand corner of the package. The top page is perforated. The lower portion of this top sheet is the proxy form; the upper portion is the ADMISSION TICKET. and it also has your name and address pre-printed. The ADMISSION TICKET (the upper 3/5 of that top sheet), along with a valid, government-issued photo identification (such as a driver's license or a passport) must be presented for admission to the meeting.

I just put my ticket in my hat so it won't get lost. :)

Is your career worth one day of your time?

Be there.

I'll be there. Can't go to the sharholder's meeting since I sold all of my FDX stock when it hit $100. . .
Does anyone have a share of FDX stock I can borrow??

Latest resources

Back