• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FCC license free for military or vets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's $55 now? Guess prices are going up...

Do you ever have to renew this licence? (I've heard that you need it if you fly to the bahamas, but don't know anything else)

falcon20driver said:
I hate to pay a ridiculous $55. for a license that the FCC used to give out free until about 15 years ago, any vets know of a way to get this for a more reasonable fee.
You sure your looking at the right license?

FCC restricted radio telephone permit?

Unless its changed in the last couple of years, I believe it is $15 bucks. At least it was back about 98 or 99

EDIT- Just looked it up Holy Crap!!! $55 bucks now. Guess the cost of cardboard went up!!!

Last edited:
KeroseneSnorter said:
You sure your looking at the right license?

FCC restricted radio telephone permit?

Unless its changed in the last couple of years, I believe it is $15 bucks. At least it was back about 98 or 99

EDIT- Just looked it up Holy Crap!!! $55 bucks now. Guess the cost of cardboard went up!!!
I got my 12/2002 and it was $50 then.

If you just need it One Time ie for a visit to Mexico, some pilot have told me they downloaded and printed out the
TEMPORARY PERMIT (which is good to go right off your printer), and the
APPLICATION FORM which is intended to be mailed to the FCC.

Some of these pilots either forgot to mail their check in with the form, or forgot to mail in the application completely, there it was on the credenza with a stamp waiting to be mailed when they returned from the sunny south. 'Oh, darn' was their exclamation, as I recall.

IF we are talking about the same FCC form, 605 I think it was.

FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Permit

I got mine in December 2001 for around $50.00. In my opinion, it's a ripoff. When I interviewed at jetBlue in October 2002, they required it for the interview.

Latest resources

Back