Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Ok, so i have a possible job opportunity. The guy asked me to fax him my resume. This is the first time i've applied for a flyin job. What do i use for a cover page on the fax? Any idea's? Anyone have any hints? This is a corporate job, and like i said, its my first time applyin for a flying job, so im just lookin for a little help.

Brad

Most of the jobs I have applied for over fax I send papers out in this order. I always like to call and confirm fax was recieved (regardless of confirmation page). This gives you a chance to put a voice and a personality with your resume, so you are a little more than one of many "in the stack",

1. Generic cover sheet
2. Letter of intent
3. Formal resume

Ali

avbug said:
First flying job? What exactly is flight instruction? Entertainment?

Well... it can be... actually it is an excersize in futility... how many times can you say "Right Rudder" in one flight before you whap your student up side the head with a sectional and yell "YOUR OTHER RIGHT!"

Oh the good times of years past!

Man Falcon Capt - I'm sitting here with my cousin right here on the other sofa. How fast can you get to AUS from where you are in the 900EX? She'll be here until Sunday. :D

STOP IT!

I was in Austin last Wednesday night (a week ago)... Had lunch at the Iron Works and dinner at the mexican place across the street from the Capital Marriott... I think it was called Serranos...

Oh well, I am 1,000+ miles from my 900EX ( I am on vacation) so your cousin is gonna have to wait!

I can't believe a guy would sell out his cousin for a tour of a 900EX... Well then again, yes I can!

LOL!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

OH, if you fly over Indiana (why would anyone want to do such a boring thing I don't know) feel free to come by LAF :D

The runway is quite long...:D My friends', brother's, cousin's, little sister would like to see an airplane with 3 engines on it :D ;)

Archer

Faxing resumes

The title of my post should convey my opinion of that practice. However, the guy said to do it, so . . . .

(1) Set up a plain cover page with a heading that gives your name, address, phone number, cell number and e-mail address. Put on separate lines the man's name, name of his company, phone number and fax number. Set up a line that states total number of pages in the fax, including the cover page. Set up on the page a "Remarks" setting, and type something like, "As requested, per our telephone conversation of (date)."

(2) Next is your cover letter. Type in bold just above the inside address, TRANSMITTED BY FACSIMILE (XXX) YYY-ZZZZ, with (XXX) YYY-ZZZZ being the fax number. Change all "enclosed" and "enclosure" in your cover letter form to "attached" and "attachment."

(3) Your resume goes last.

You can call after you fax your materials to see if they were received. But, depending on the place, I wouldn't necessarily ask for the man specifically to see if you materials were received. Especially in a corporate job. You might torque him off.

I'm old-fashioned. I don't like to fax resumes. For one thing, something is lost in the translation from paper to electric impulses and back to paper. The characters garble, sometimes. Some fax machines don't pick up characters well and your well-written, well-laid-out, professionally-style resume looks crummy upon receipt. Moreover, many places scan resumes and crummy-appearing copy scans poorly, and maybe inaccurately. When you mail materials, they arrive nice and fresh and ready to convey the good impression you intended them to convey. I feel that method is more professional. That's my .02 and I know that many people will disagree.

Good luck with getting the job.

Last edited:
Resume

AZaviator said:
One more note to add is that you should keep your resume down to one page. It looks more professional, and recruiters/HR people seem to like it.
Seconded. And, make sure you've proofread it. There's no greater turn-off than typos, misspellings, etc. on a resume.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back