• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Favorite AFN commercial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always liked the credit card commercials in the 90s.

Especially the one where a guy gets a new credit card and every month the monkey (gorilla) on his back keeps getting bigger and bigger. Classically studpid.

Is the wearing of earbuds while jogging still forbidden? I got hasseled for that several times.

My favorite AFN commerical played every winter in the Phillipines. It would be 95 degrees out, and a commerical would come on telling you to set your thermostat to "no higher than 68".

Once I called the station and asked what I should do, I was running my air conditioner 24/7 full blast, but it would only cool the house down to 70.

Last edited:
Hey jimbo, what's the little pinky trigger on the 111 that ya activate when you go over a ridge or something and you want to roll over and pull down so you don't get up too high? Named the 'somedude maneuver.' Some dude = AA CA last I heard.

Can you refresh my memory?

Hey jimbo, what's the little pinky trigger on the 111 that ya activate when you go over a ridge or something and you want to roll over and pull down so you don't get up too high? Named the 'somedude maneuver.' Some dude = AA CA last I heard.

Can you refresh my memory?

I think you're talking about avoiding 'Ivan thanks you very much' manuever, in which an airplane at low level pops up into the blue sky going over a ridge. In the F-111 you have a ride control setting of 'hard', 'medium', or 'soft' that controls how hard the autopilot will push negative to keep you close to the terrain if you are on autopilot at low level.

In the F-4 low levels and in the F-111 when it is being hand flown you typically roll the airplane as you cross a ridge to keep from going up into the blue sky. In F-4 Weasels our pilots were authorized to roll 180 degrees going over ridges. Lesser fighters were limited to 90 degrees. I can't recall what our roll limit for ridge crossings was in F-111s, but I don't think it was as much as 90 degrees.

I think the 'pinky trigger' you're talking about is the autopilot disconnet lever on the stick, but I'm not sure.

Well, I still watch AFN a lot and am THANKFUL as hell for that little black box...especially during football season...try watching three NFL games at once in your hometown without being in a sportsbar. The programming and commercials have come a long way in recent years. Some of the commercials are actually funny even though you wonder if someone really needs to be told to breath to keep from passing out.

Recent Favorites: The guy who's dog finds someones' butt in a park...owner concludes someone must have lost it playing with his kids. (that one could double as a gambling commercial too!)
Also: The family in a car when someone "passes gas"......"hey, somethin's funkay!"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back