Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kmox29

I'm open! I'm open!
I am sure there are people who will disagree with me, but here's my thoughts on the relatively endless threads asking about who's got the fastest upgrade time:

Don't worry about it.

Find or pick an airline/cargo/corporate outfit because you want to work there. I've had friends go here and there under the guise of a "fast upgrade" only to be stuck somehow as an FO for quite some time. There are no guarantees that you will get hired and get your thousand hours and be off to some big airline. The reality of it is, you might be stuck wherever you are for life.

In early 2000, people were being hired like crazy at the majors. But there were always people who you thought should get hired and never did. Some might have had disqualifiers in their past, but not all. Point is, good people don't get hired.

Find a company where you like the bases, like the people, like the contract, and like the equipment. If you can find one, you'll be fairly happy regardless of upgrade.

***I shall now step off my soapbox and return you to your regularly scheduled threads*** :)

kmox29 said:
I am sure there are people who will disagree with me, but here's my thoughts on the relatively endless threads asking about who's got the fastest upgrade time:

Don't worry about it.
Thank you for supplying a well-needed dose of Ritalin to the short-attention-span "When Will I Upgrade" crowd.

LAXSaabdude.

kmox29 said:
I am sure there are people who will disagree with me

On flightinfo.com....naaahhh!

kmox29 said:
Find a company where you like the bases, like the people, like the contract, and like the equipment. If you can find one, you'll be fairly happy regardless of upgrade.

This seems logical.

However, a close friend (F.O.) told me this week that a high seniority captain asked him "if he was retarded or something" for seeking a job at a well-regarded regional with long upgrade times. My friend wasn't lookin' for trouble, and is content with the many QOL benefits of his job, so he just let it slide. But, WTF?

I don't think it's always the short attention span crowd that fuels the upgrade madness.

I know some pretty happy high-seniority F.O.'s. But unfortunately some in the industry view them as no-ambition losers.

"Thank you for supplying a well-needed dose of Ritalin to the short-attention-span "When Will I Upgrade" crowd."

ROFL!

Who's hiring street captains?

:D

I heard a similar rambling from a 14yr captain who was an FO for 2 weeks.

T-prop said:
I heard a similar rambling from a 14yr captain who was an FO for 2 weeks.

I was an FO for almost 6 years. It wasn't a rambling, just an opinion. I'm sure you don't need my opinion though. You sound like you know a lot.

Latest resources

Back