Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

onewithwings

Linky: Flight attendants reveal their worst passengers

You leave the door wide open when you pee.

“One of the most annoying things passengers do is not closing the lavatory door,” celebrity flight attendant David Holmes from Southwest Airlines said.

You double order your drinks.

“Asking one flight attendant for a drink and before they get back with it, asking another flight attendant for the same drink, is bad news,” Bethany Burke, a flight attendant from Florida, US, said.

You tap flight attendants on the shoulder to get their attention.

“Passengers tap me to get my attention but then don’t give me eye contact when talking to me,” Mr Holmes said.

“Passengers wouldn’t take off their headsets when I asked them if they wanted food or drink,” ex-hostie Susan, who worked for Qantas for over 20 years, said.

“When I ask passengers if they’d like something to drink, three times out of five the response will be ‘Wha?’ And that's a ‘wha’ without the ‘T’,” Heather Poole, flight attendant for a major US carrier, said.

“‘Something to drink?’ I'll ask again, and while I ask this question I find myself wondering why you haven't taken off the iPod or those giant Bose noise cancellation headsets covering your ears when you see me standing at your row.”

You stuff your bag to breaking point and then ask for help to stow it away.

“The worst is when people bring a heavy bag onboard, then tell me that they can't lift it overhead because of a bad back,” Mrs Burke said.

“Lifting your bag into the overhead bin is not, nor has it ever been, part of my job description. Honestly, I don't know what bothers me more, the fact that a passenger will come on-board and expect me to lift their bag, or the fact that they actually get upset when I won't lift the bag,” Mrs Poole said.

You complain about the overhead bin being full and make a fuss about having to put your bag in the rows behind.

“Passengers who get annoyed about the overhead bins near their seats being full, and then say the word “ridiculous”, are so annoying,” Mrs Poole said.

You order a special meal and then change your mind at the last minute.

“I hate it when passengers order a vegetarian, kosher or fruit special meal and then want a regular meal instead," Mrs Burke said.

You’re messy and inconsiderate.

“There’d be so many people who’d just throw things on the floor right in the middle of the cabin, such as newspapers they’ve finished with or rubbish,” Susan said.

“Surprisingly, it’s no different in first class, they’re just as messy as the other passengers.”

You read up about getting free upgrades and pull all the tricks to try and get your way.

“Another annoying thing is the tricks people used to play to get upgraded," Susan said.

"You could see the pattern for a lot of people, but if they win it’s just rewarding them for bad behaviour.”

You expect to be told the moment you change time zones.

“Passengers often want to know exactly when they should change their watch when crossing time zones,” Mrs Burke said.

You try and take over the crew rest area.

“Trying to sit in our crew rest seats, which are sacred to us, is a very bad idea,” Mrs Burke warns.

You enter the galley without permission and loiter.

“Unless you've actually been invited into the galley (it does happen), you do not step onto the floor for any length of time," Mrs Poole said.

You spill water on the toilet floor and leave without cleaning it up.

“People would leave water on the floor after using the toilet, forgetting about all the other passengers who may slip and fall,” Susan said.

You have unrealistic expectations of your air travel experience.

“I saw a first-class passenger chuck a hissy fit as we didn’t have the right flavour of yogurt onboard. A bit unrealistic,” Susan said.

Before FA's get hired, to they have this pipe dream that all passengers are well behaved, respectable people? The general public views them as nothing but "peanut pushers"
In return, some of the attitudes these FA's give passengers, they deserve the crap they get. Especially these old timers at the legacy carriers. I know they've had ripped everything out from under them by management, but the option to quit and make money is always out there.

As far as passengers carrying bags they can't lift on their own, they should look in the mirror. I had countless numbers of FA's who couldn't carry their bags up the stairs because they packed everything, including the kitchen sink for a 3 day trip.
If you can't lift your own bag, how they hell are you going to evacuate a burning airplane?

Another thing......Getting stuck behind a FA that has 5 bags, and a purse, then has to take off the sweater and shoes to go through security.. Oh yeah, then it takes 15 min to pack it all back up.

Another thing......Getting stuck behind a FA that has 5 bags, and a purse, then has to take off the sweater and shoes to go through security.. Oh yeah, then it takes 15 min to pack it all back up.

One of my pet peeves is waiting for my stuff to get off the security line screening belt and having someone stand at the belt and dress (i.e. belt, shoes, jacket, jewelry, repack computer and liquids) every one else behind them waits...causing the security line to come to a screeching halt.

GRAB YOUR STUFF AND MOVE IT PEOPLE!!! It's soooo rude to hold up the security lines.

<rant over>

It's soooo rude to hold up the security lines.

<rant over>

It's even more offensive that pilots have to go through security to begin with.

I had an FA get stopped at the security line once because they found a giant steak knife in her bag. I asked her what it was for, and she said it was for her orange. WTF. You don't need a f**king machete to cut your orange. Her 3 inch long bling nails could have done the job just as well.

It's even more offensive that pilots have to go through security to begin with.

I whole heartedly agree! Afterall they didn't complete the 10 year federal, state and local background check, fingerprints and urinalysis for nothing. I think all of that should exempt having to go through security lines...period!

pax should start writing books about what they hate about flt atts. I'll bet the list would never end. They complain about having to work a flight, serve drinks, help passengers, and god forbid they have to be friendly. Flt atts in America are horrible, by far the worse.

Latest resources

Back