FAR's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi...

You may be able to locate what you're looking for here...
FAA Regulatory Support Division

Check the FAQ's under the " Other Designee Information" section.

Good Luck

Last edited:
>>>>Check the FAQ's under the " Other Designee Information" section.

I'd take anything you read there with a grain of salt.

The "interpretations" published there have absolutely no legal standing within the FAA. The FAA's chief legal counsel has on occasion completely disagreed with John Lynch's "interpretations". Both the FAA's chief counsel and Mr Lynch himself state that there he has no legal authority to interpret regulations.
A few of Mr Lynch's "interpretations" are so far removed from reality as to be absurd.

It would be amusing if it wasn't a prime example of a bureaucrat attempting to impose his opinions without any authority.

regards

Hi...

A Squared, I agree.

However, sometimes an individual needs to have a point from which to start any research.

The answers or opinions to the FAQ's should not be taken as legal interpretation.

Some local FSDO's actually refer to these when answering questions from Airmen, but also advise that they aren't always correct.

Regards

FlyMach

Wasn't meaning to pick on you. The FAQs are a prime example of one of the problems with the FAA, everyone wants to issue and impose their interpretation of the regulations, and those "interpretations" are ofter more a product of that person's opinions of what the regulation should be rather than what it actually is.

John Lynch's FAQs contain "interpretations" which are in no way shape of form supported by the regulations, and in at least one interpretation his very flawed opinion is misrepresented as text from the CFR, apparently intentionally.

It is not all bad though, some of the FAQs are based on CHief Counsel legal interpretations, and include the chief counsel's letter of interpretation. These at least have some value, as they distribute real official FAA legal opinions.

Unfortunately there is no comprehensive source of legal interpretations from the office of chief counsel available on the web (at least I don't know of one anyway) I understand that they are available on CDROM through one or more of the companies which publish FAA documents.

regards

Hi...

A Squared, I didn't think you were picking on me, my friend.

I hope I didn't come across as being agitated....I wasn't.

I agree with your comments regarding the FAQ section of the site I mentioned.

You spoke of a CDROM with legal interpretations.
I have the 2000 ASA Flight Library Pro Edition that has quite a few legal interpretations on it.
I recommend it for all who are interested. The 2002 Edition is on the way here...

Regards

Latest resources

Back