• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Farnsworth Lantern Test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I actually took the signal light gun test twice ... the first day's conditions weren't great for it - The sun wasn't far from the tower and I had trouble differentiating the white and green because of it. The second time I took it, I had no problem. Of course when I did this back in 1997, I didn't know about the alternate tests. Could have really shot myself in the foot had I not passed the second time.

Wang Chung said:
I know that people get hired with color vision SODAs, not a big deal as some make it out to be.

But for a guy whose color vision is in question, which is the better choice? A one-shot attempt at a SODA at the local airfield under possibly less than optimal conditions, with a Fed moderating the event.....or sitting in an office with an eye expert who can administer multiple "FAA acceptable" tests, under carefully controlled conditions, in a non-Fed situation.

I totally agree with the light gun being less than optimal, I didn't mean to come off like I did. The whole color vision thing is a sore subject for me, since as most people who are red/green color blind know, its not red and green we cant see its shades of brown between red and green. The whole limitation thing with red/green color blindness is bogus. Then places like that aviationmedicine.com prey on that and CHARGE a lot of money for something the AMEs should be doing anyway.

Sorry for the rant, good point about the light gun test though, lots of practice at the tower you are going to do it at definately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135fr8r
Farnsworth Lantern Test

is no longer a valid FAA color vision test.

Actually it's the Farnsworth D-15 that is no longer accepted. Totally different test.

For years, I was able to barely scrape by the standard color vision plates. Finally, one year I was one plate short and the new AME I was using called me on it.

I tried the FALANT test at a school of optometry nearby. I didn't find it easy at all, although the professor who gave me the test said that was an indication that I had a color vision deficiency (duh!). He told me that with normal color vision, it should be a snap.

I did the light gun test from the tower, no problems. Now that one was easy. And now I have a SODA.

The worst part about the whole thing was having to wait about a month to get the FAA to sign off on giving me the light gun test. Once I took the test, I had the SODA the next day.

Latest resources

Back