Farewell My Friend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bill Mostellar

I doubt any of you would know him, but a good friend of mine, Rick Schultz, passed on in his sleep this week. He didn't appead to have suffered or struggled in any way. His years numbered 55.

I met Rick at Pickens County (Georgia) Airport a few years ago; we just started talking and one thing led to another. Next thing I knew, we were flying together in both his workhorse 152 and his creampuff 337 every few weeks. Since I know little or nothing about general aviation, he opened a new world to me and taught me many things.

He was also very interested in commercial aviation, so I invited him to tour Delta. He was like a kid in a candy store - touring the OCC (Operations Control Center), Maintenance, and Training, but I think he enjoyed the simulators most. He didn't stop smiling for weeks, or asking questions about how we operate.

Our friendship went far beyond aviation. We talked about everything - business (he owned Standard Testing Equipment which builds quality control testing equipment for the textile industry), politics, food (he loved mexican and tried to get me to market my guacamole after I gave him a batch), and religion. He treated my boys like his own, letting them "turn wrenchs" with us at the airport and riding around on the golf cart with them.

You will be missed Rick, but not forgotten.

I wish you success!
Isaiah 40:31

Sounded like a really good buddy.

Just keep in mind all the good times, they will bring a smile.

Flying a wonderful airplane is a pleasure, but true joy resides in the ability to share the experience with your aviation bretheren.

That's true whether you are in the military world or civilian circles; I too smile when I remember the great times I've had with buddies in the past 30 years. Being hooked on flying seems to depend on how many folks you have had the opportunity to share that experience with.

Latest resources

Back