Farewell Cryodon.........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

citdrver

Cryodon...........was his message board name......Monty Emmons was his real name, Monty was killed outside of RFD on Tuesday evening. He was flying a C-208 for Planemasters carrying UPS frieght. He was a good guy, he was 42. He left a comfortable job to go flying. With the encouragement of myself and many others he took on aviation as a carreer, and yesterday it killed him. The weather was lousy, but not beyond his capabilities, he was fairly experienced, not a novice by any means. He and I first met when we were pumping gas together. As a private pilot he took on a second job so he could ride along on the frieght aircraft. He worked through his ratings and was actively riding along. When I started to fly for the company he always seemed to ride along with me. He was getting close to the magical and elusive Part 135 mins. When he finally made it the company fell on hard times. He was able to get a job at Planemasters and that was his first big break in to the industry. He left a long time job and became a full time frieght dog. We got together a few months ago, after getting back in touch on this board. He was soon to be married and very excited about his move up to the people carrying end of the charter business.

I apologize about rambling on....I haven't had any close friends lost in this industry, and I fell partly responsible. I pushed him to do this and encouraged him every chance I got, I let him fly as much as I could so he could just jump right in when he got the nod.

Well I shall draw this to a close...........After all I am addressing my sorrows to a bunch of strangers, but yet we are all connected in this unique forum and in the zeal for flying.

"ILLINI".....if you have any further info of this accident please share or PM me, I would appreciate it!

Fly Safe all.............I really mean it!!!!

CITDRVER

CITDriver... I am sorry for your loss...

Unfortunately in this industry it will not be your last...

I have quite an extensive list of people that I know that have died in airplanes...

Don't blame yourself for his death... all you did was encourage him to pursue a dream... No one has a crystal ball to predict the future...

Again, my heart goes out to his friends and family...

Fly Safe...

Falcon Capt.

CITdriver, my condolences as well. Remember that he died doing what he loved to do. I believe when it's our time, it's our time. Consider yourself a vehicle to allow him some fun before passing on.

My deepest sympathy...

citdrvr,

This is becoming somewhat of a broken record here. Aviation brings us together, allows us to meet special people from all walks of life. Occasionally we lose one of those special people. It can leave you wondering why you ever bothered with it in the first place. But, that kind of talk is a self-piteous waste of energy.

Our friends are in a better place, we shouldn't be sad but happy.

None of this was in the brochures though.

I lost a friend on the 4th of December. Time will help you get over your pain. Hang in there and fly safe.

Once again, my heart goes out to the family and friends of this pilot.

Condolences

Sorry for your loss. Several years go I took a T-6 ride with a pilot whom I had known for a few years. He went down in the airplane a few weeks later and died. You never like hearing it happen, but it's much tougher when it is someone you know.

citdrver, I am sorry for your loss. Monty was also a friend of mine. He was a good man... always happy and enthusiastic about flying. He will surely be missed, but I know that he is in a better place now and looking over the rest of us.

Our company put an extra Caravan down in Decatur, IL to help with the holiday rush of sending Christmas packages. Monty and I were taking turns... I was there last week and this was his week to be down there. DEC-RFD was his first leg. The weather was 300/1. Not the best, but not a problem for a pilot with experience like Monty. The last clearance he recieved was clear to land. The crash occured at 11:04 CT (0504Z) on December 17th. Other than that, i'd hate to speculate at what might have happened or say anything else prior to the investigation being completed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Monty's friends, family, and loved ones. God bless.

ILLINI

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back