Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAR Changes, a new way to "double up," under part 61.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chuckthepilot

Confused User
FAR Changes, a new way to "double up" PIC time under part 61.

Recently published rules link:
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/
Pilot, instructor, schools, and pilot certification (part 61 and 141):
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-19353.pdf

26. This revision of § 61.51(e)(1)(iv) will
permit a pilot performing the duties of
pilot in command while under the
supervision of a qualified pilot in
command to log pilot in command flight
time.

I picked up this information via another forum. I'm not claiming to be up to date on all this, I just breezed though it, but it looks like some changes are coming down the pipe for logging PIC. The days of needing a "safety pilot" to double up might be gone. Looks like after logging some ground instruction from a PIC, you can log PIC time under "supervision," while under part 61.

Anyway, it's worth a look if there are any short timers here trying to get the hours up. Anybody actively instructing should have a read, looks like there are quite a few "changes, clarifications, and revisions."

Last edited:
It's been like this, kinda, for multi training.

61.129(b)(4) 10 hours of solo flight time in a multiengine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement in paragraph (b)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least—

How the FAA interprets and how potential employers interpret can be markedly different. Most airlines are very specific in their application as to what they want in which column.

It sounds like the FAA is making an effort to bring the logging of flight time, in line with the rest of the world.

Not sure about the EU but in Australia, there is a seperate column in most logbooks for P1/US. PIC under supervision.

As this is written you no longer need to be the sole manipulator thus load a plane up with 10 guys and everyone logs PIC. The FAA really works hard at making logging time or being PIC the single most complicated thing in all the regulations.

Ignore my first sentence, I need to learn how to read a bit better. Still feel the 2nd sentence applies though.

Latest resources

Back