• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fancy -300s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No need to get defensive about "dumbing down" the 700's. It is simply a statement that is true. The autothrottles and VNAV are not on/used. I am sure that you will agree a computer can do a better job at efficiency then a person. Auto throttles save about 4% of fuel over not using them combined with VNAV. Computers are just more accurate.

It has nothing to do with your skills or anybody elses.

thor,
I've flown both: 737's w/VNAV, RNP, Internet, Autothrottles, Autoland, Dual AP, Aux fuel tanks, ETOPs + those w/o. SWA is a little behind the techno clock, however, to say they dumbed down the -700 is a foul ball. It does everything they want it to do for now to make $$. Tomorrow is another day...

Once again, dumbing down was not directed at you or SWA, it is directed at the varient of 700 SWA orders. Dumbing down refers to any technology which is simplified, in this case the lack or certain electronic features. I think the term fits perfectly. It is a simpler version.

I would think you guys could make even more money if it was activated. It is kind of like the auto brakes, it does help.

Last edited:
Agreed, if I had my way, every airplane would be exactly the same in terms of configuration. But it's not, so I go with the flow...

I think it's called saving money for the company...

Just know, that very smart folks are making decisions beyond my pilot brain...

I fly the airplane as best I can with the tools provided.

ski out...

Last edited:
SWA found a system to shorten our flights even shorter than a great circle direct route. It's called Direct Deposit, or DirectD for short.

The DirectD systems will integrate with our onboard Wi-fi and provide Pay Pal integration for ATC controllers who offer us direct routings. The greater the shortcut (measured by the DirectD system) the greater the payout to the individual controller. DirectD will provide payouts on a first come first serve basis.

DirectD aids pilots in vertical planning by penalizing controllers for non-pilot discretion descents. Reroutes will also incur penalties 1.5x the direct route savings.

Other incentive items such as reassigning flights with a "lifeguard" call sign have yet to be negotiated.

That's what I heard at least.

Now that's funny!

Latest resources

Back