Family says grounded Navy pilot's record being ignored

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
350kias with the gear down?

Lots of lectures from the F-18 guy who has no idea how subsonic flow is maintained on the type.

I'll admit I wrote that without being able to see the video first (I was at work when I wrote that).

I still stand by my statement that these guys were unfairly made an example of, and the community is less of a place without them. The board and everyone else sided with them, and the Admiral decided on his own, and disregarded the advice given by those entrusted to come up with a decision. Apparently you don't trust those individuals anymore than you do the two pilots in question.

Last edited:
I'll admit I wrote that without being able to see the video first (I was at work when I wrote that).

I still stand by my statement that these guys were unfairly made an example of, and the community is less of a place without them.

I don't necessarily disagree.

The board and everyone else sided with them, and the Admiral decided on his own, and disregarded the advice given by those entrusted to come up with a decision. Apparently you don't trust those individuals anymore than you do the two pilots in question.

It is telling that you wrote your response without having viewed the video.

Yes the other posters jumped on these guys but you blindly defend any behavior if the pilot is wearing a zoom suit.

I love a good low fly-by as much as anybody, but it's just plain stupid to think you can fly 800 feet below the minimum altitude in full view of about 50,000 cell phone cameras without getting into trouble. To claim you did it "accidentally" only makes it worse. Grounded forever may bit a little harsh, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

These guys should be lucky to peel potatos after a dangerous stunt like this. Football fans could've been hurt. Fly-bys need to be banned immediately.

...i still stand by my statement that these guys were unfairly made an example of, and the community is less of a place without them. The board and everyone else sided with them, and the admiral decided on his own, and disregarded the advice given by those entrusted to come up with a decision. Apparently you don't trust those individuals anymore than you do the two pilots in question.

__ +1 __

Permanent ground assignments. Ouch!

I have a question. Say these guys decide to cut their losses and resign as soon as their commitment to the Navy is satisfied...then pursue a civilian career in aviation.

Is the information on this incident something a potential civilian airline employer would have access to?

To bottom line it...are they screwed future flying job-wise too?

Last edited:
Permanent ground assignments. Ouch!

I have a question. Say these guys decide to cut their losses and resign as soon as their commitment to the Navy is satisfied...then pursue a civilian career in aviation.

Is the information on this incident something a potential civilian airline employer would have access to?

To bottom line it...are they screwed future flying job-wise too?
should not effect them, there is no way other than the pilot confessing that they did it, for the prospective employer to find out. PIRA does not go into military training. An easy answer that has been heard by many a recruiter is "There was a lack of flying opportunities for me in the Navy" It also depends upon the hiring cycle and I am getting out because I love flying airplanes, with the coming 2012 hiring boom they would be in good shape.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back