• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Family says grounded Navy pilot's record being ignored

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They should be grounded. This is not the 60's or 70's where people kinda used the rules a a guideline. They read the rules and were either briefed by a superior or presented their flyover plan to a superior (their fake plan). These guys discussed doing this, agreed to do this, then did it! No sympathy from me....I don't care how good their record was. That does not give you an excuse to "fly like Maverick".

They agreed to throw away their careers that day....and it worked!

I think they should be grounded for the simple fact that they did a LAME flyby with the gear down????

Did they say that.....if so, now they are liars!

Btw...the altimeter "mistake" for 800 feet is .80.
Approach control-"altimeter is 30.10"
Superior F-18 Pilot- "Copy....29.30"

Back in the 70's and 80's when anyone with wings could do a PR event, go to an airshow, or do a fly-by, there were accidents, fatalities, botched flyby's and bad PR. So the Navy put controls on these events. I know in my P-3 outfit only certain pilots were allowed to go to airshows, and if flying at the airshow was involved it had to be a IP or Ck airman. They tightened up controls to avoid the bad PR, pretty well know if you screw up you are in big trouble. BTW at an impromptu Airshow at Utapao, Thailand in 1968 the skipper took our P-3 down the runway at 400 Kts at 100', pulled into a near hammer head, shutdown two engines and came the runway at 200' and 150 KTs, into a two engine relite and a full stop landing. The USAF base CO gave him holy hell. Can't do that stuff anymore.

Back in the 70's and 80's when anyone with wings could do a PR event, go to an airshow, or do a fly-by, there were accidents, fatalities, botched flyby's and bad PR. So the Navy put controls on these events. I know in my P-3 outfit only certain pilots were allowed to go to airshows, and if flying at the airshow was involved it had to be a IP or Ck airman. They tightened up controls to avoid the bad PR, pretty well know if you screw up you are in big trouble. BTW at an impromptu Airshow at Utapao, Thailand in 1968 the skipper took our P-3 down the runway at 400 Kts at 100', pulled into a near hammer head, shutdown two engines and came the runway at 200' and 150 KTs, into a two engine relite and a full stop landing. The USAF base CO gave him holy hell. Can't do that stuff anymore.

Come on.... it's a P-3 for heaven's sake. What else are you gonna do for a fly by/airshow? Drop sonobuoys on the crowd?

Did they say that.....if so, now they are liars!

Btw...the altimeter "mistake" for 800 feet is .80.
Approach control-"altimeter is 30.10"
Superior F-18 Pilot- "Copy....29.30"

Wow, you must've been a highley decorated ace being able to glean all that info from such limited resources and then passing judgment. You also must be an expert on the F-18 systems and the difference between baro and radalt selection for your primary reference. You must also know how easy it is for a tactical fighter at 350 kts or more to wander off altitude down low like that, when you're trying to make a TOT, on a point that small.

Actually knowing these guys, deploying with, going to war, and having combat time with these guys I can tell you that they are/were the upmost proffesionals. They made a mistake, fessed up to it immediatley after landing (before anyone even had a chance to compain), and were made an example of.

How 'bout you keep your jackass comments to yourself, purely on the basis of proffesionalism?

350kias with the gear down?

Lots of lectures from the F-18 guy who has no idea how subsonic flow is maintained on the type.

SIG,
Cry me a river!!! These dudes went out and decided to break the rules. Don't give me this baro vs radio alt crap. My point is that the article was saying that their families were upset because they were not given special treatment. I don't care if they fessed up.....so what! They still went out and put their careers on the line just to look like studs. They got what they deserved.

Why is my sympathy so limited???? Because I don't want to sit through another memorial service for decorated professionals that went out and decided that they were too good for the rules. These are selfish acts plain and simple!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back