Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HMR

I Live by the River.
We're this close (picture my thumb and forefinger about 1/2 inch apart) to getting our 50. Someone was kind enough to send me a bunch of study material, but it's for the EX.

Besides the engines and avionics, are there any other differences?
Fuel system?
Electrical?
Limitations?

Thanks,

HMR

HMR said:
We're this close (picture my thumb and forefinger about 1/2 inch apart) to getting our 50. Someone was kind enough to send me a bunch of study material, but it's for the EX.

Fuel system?
Electrical?
Limitations?

Thanks,

HMR
Its been over 7 years since I went through 50 initial, and I've never flown a straight 50, but if I remember correctly, pretty much the only differences are the engines, avionics and bleed air system... If you study the 50EX stuff, you won't be that far off for a straight 50...

Too bad you guys aren't getting an EX, there is a pretty big performance difference between the two...

I used to fly a straight 50 about 17 years ago. very nice machine. I wouldn't mind flying one again. threw all my manuals away years ago- before ebay:)

Last edited:
Garrett Aviation in Sringfield, IL takes straight 50s and turns them into 50EXs, litterally (50EX Retrofit). When you depart, they give you a 50EX flight manual. Here is a good article that touches in the differences. I have a friend that flies 50EX retrofits, and he says you can't tell the difference. If you plan on keeping the airplane, it's a good investment, but if not, dont waste the cash and downtime. As for what you are looking for, this should just about cover it, though not in detail. BTW, if you train at Simuflite, call them and tell them to add the DA50 to your online study guide, then log on to simuflites web site and you can download all of your manuals (or any manual for any aircraft you train on). Hope that helps.......

Here's your article:
Honeywell has received U.S. and European approval of its TFE731-40 engine retrofit for the Falcon 50, a conversion that essentially gives the trijet the performance of a Falcon 50EX for the cost of a $5.3 million basic engine conversion.

American brewer Anheuser Busch is the first corporate operator to commit to the program. Its pilots will fly the airplane to Garrett Aviation’s Springfield, Illinois shop for conversion work. Honeywell has not said how much customers will pay for the upgrade, but the engine maker did announce that operators may receive credits for replaced parts amounting to between $600,000 and $1 million.

“The TFE731-40 engine will give Falcon 50 operators faster time-to-climb and cruise speeds, improved engine reliability, durability and reduced cost of ownership,” said Dominique Hedon, Honeywell vice president of commercial propulsion. “Operators who fly the North Atlantic track will be able to reach their cruising altitudes in less than 23 minutes, eliminating step-climb requirements and maximizing fuel endurance for enhanced aircraft mission performance.”

Hedon said operators who switch to TFE731-40 power can expect to climb to 41,000 ft some 16 min faster than the Falcon 50’s present climb performance of 39 min to 39,000 ft. He added that the engines deliver as much as 24 percent more thrust at altitude than the Falcon 50’s original TFE731-3 engines and reduce specific fuel consumption by nearly 10 percent.

The TFE731-40 is the engine fitted to the current production Falcon 50EX. Converted Falcon 50s will be essentially the same as a new Falcon 50EX from the engines aft. During installation, technicians increase rudder travel from 23 deg to 29 deg and install an upgraded bleed-air system computer for better air distribution in the cabin. Digital engine controls contribute to more precise fuel management and allow automatic takeoff, climb and cruise thrust settings, engine trend monitoring and limit protection.

Each of the trio of TFE731-40s is flat rated at 3,700 lb takeoff thrust at sea level. The hourly maintenance service plan rate for converted Falcon 50s is $88.54 an hour, down from the TFE731-3’s hourly rate of $148. The TFE731-40 also carries maintenance intervals of 2,500 hr for major periodic inspections and 5,000 hr for compressor zone inspections, a 16 percent improvement over the 731-3.

Worldwide, there are some 250 Falcon 50s in operation that would be eligible for the engine retrofit. The TFE731-40 is backed by a five-year, 2,000-hr nonprorated warranty that covers workmanship, troubleshooting and engine removal and reinstallation labor.

HMR said:

Fuel system?
Electrical?
Limitations?

Thanks,

HMR

Thanks everyone. A very kind FlightInfo'er sent me more info than I could've hoped for via e-mail. Wow!

Hawker F/O- Thanks for the article. We've been looking for over 6 months and have done very thorough research on the -4 and -40 retrofit. Good stuff.

My pleasure.........
HMR said:
Thanks everyone. A very kind FlightInfo'er sent me more info than I could've hoped for via e-mail. Wow!

Hawker F/O- Thanks for the article. We've been looking for over 6 months and have done very thorough research on the -4 and -40 retrofit. Good stuff.

If you need 50 stuff let me know....The EX is one hell of an airplane... Garrett does do a great job moding the 50 to an EX... But you are still left with an old airplane... Unless you get a late serial number 50... The main differences are eng, avionics, and bleed air... The electrical system has a few minor differences.. The engines on both the 50 and the 50EX are rated at the same thrust.. but the EX motors are flat rated to 32C whereas the 50 is only 20 or 22C ( i can't remember). I have alot of info on the 50 (manuals, checklist, etc..) and some operating cost info... If you need them let me know...

Latest resources

Back