Falcon Ten bounce

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

grumman38

I hate to admit it but my landings are getting worse instead of better in the Falcon Ten. The problem is never being able to have the wings leveled perfect at touchdown(one wheel hitting first) and sometimes a bounce.No problems with ref or the flare, it goes to s!@# right at touchdown. Any tips for a rookie? We use book numbers for ref.

Thanks in advance!

trim and look down runway to infinity and just fly it on...it will come together...keep your confidence level up and above all --- RELAX. :)

I've never flown the Falcon 10, so I have no advice for you.

But have you guys ever gotten into a landing "slump"?

My landings in our 604 lately have been terrible. And the more I think about what I'm doing wrong....the worse they get! And technique wise, I'm not doing anything differently.

The funny thing is I always prided myself on smooth landings. My fellow pilots just laugh at me. Maybe it's like a hitters slump.........

If I have the runway I'll carry an extra five knots and literally fly it on the runway. Seems to work for me. We all have slumps so don't sweat it. For me it seems the more the challenge, the better the landing. I can muff one good on a perfectly calm day and the next one I'll roll it on with a 15G25 crosswind. Go figure.

2000Flyer

As I recall (it's been a few years since my Falcon 10 days), the 10 tended to bounce unless you really rolled it on. The good news was that it was a very soft bounce!

SCT said:
But have you guys ever gotten into a landing "slump"?

My landings in our 604 lately have been terrible. And the more I think about what I'm doing wrong....the worse they get! And technique wise, I'm not doing anything differently.

The funny thing is I always prided myself on smooth landings. My fellow pilots just laugh at me. Maybe it's like a hitters slump.........

I feel your pain my brotha! I'll have a month where I can't make a bad one. I'm currently in a month where I can't make a good one.

I just wish I was making bad landings in a 604 instead of any landings in a Learjet. ;)

DA-10 Landings

Mate,

I know it will sould like bad news and sour grapes but the DA-10 lands wonderfully. I've got a lot of time in DA-20s and a few hundred hours in the DA-10 and there are a couple of things that folks have trouble with in the DA-10 ...

1. Deck angle. The deck angle at touch down is quite high compared to other airplanes. I'm not gonna quote a number of degrees but suffice it to say it's up there. If you are landing flat, well flatter than everyone else, then you are touching down faster and hence the "bounce" or skip.

2. One problem when you hold it off for a smooth touch down is that at the moment the DA-10's highly swept wing quits flying, it ALL quits flying. Remember this as we go on to item 3.

3. If you think you are in the perfect position, count to "2" and lower the nose a smidge. If you do this right, she'll roll on like a silk scarf.

4. Don't worry about landing on one gear first. The DA-10 has a narrow gear track and you're likley gonna end up on one or the other. It won't matter if the airplane is aimed down the runway and the speed and attitude are correct at touch down. AMD/BA's trailing link landing gear on the -10 and -20 are SOFT as a baby's butt.

The things that make it easy to land are the smooth hydraulic controls, full authority yaw damper/rudder. Since you can use the rudder in flight for landing, there's no excuse about popping YD off a the last second and stepping into the slip. The airplane has no ground spoilers so there's no "nose slam down" to worry about, when you pull the engines to idle you get a true idle of about 30% N1, no high residual thrust to worry about and the trailing like landing gear are wonderful.

So go out there, get the feel in the seat of your pants and "Get Er Done" .... you'll love it.

TransMach

Last edited:
I think the Falcon 10 was the easiest-to-squeak-on jet I've flown. The advice from TransMach is right on; high deck angle, be aware of it; pitch forward a tad just before it rolls on for total velvet; and the trailing-link gear will erase most mistakes. First I've heard of anyone having trouble with that thing, it's truly a kittycat -- don't overdo the 'thinking' part and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Not sure about the "10" but if you can afford the added distance the extra 5-10 comes in handy on the 900...the 2000 is like a cub. Not sure if you can make a bad landing in that sweatheart.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back