Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TransMach said:
Mate,

I know it will sould like bad news and sour grapes but the DA-10 lands wonderfully. I've got a lot of time in DA-20s and a few hundred hours in the DA-10 and there are a couple of things that folks have trouble with in the DA-10 ...

1. Deck angle. The deck angle at touch down is quite high compared to other airplanes. I'm not gonna quote a number of degrees but suffice it to say it's up there. If you are landing flat, well flatter than everyone else, then you are touching down faster and hence the "bounce" or skip.

2. One problem when you hold it off for a smooth touch down is that at the moment the DA-10's highly swept wing quits flying, it ALL quits flying. Remember this as we go on to item 3.

3. If you think you are in the perfect position, count to "2" and lower the nose a smidge. If you do this right, she'll roll on like a silk scarf.

4. Don't worry about landing on one gear first. The DA-10 has a narrow gear track and you're likley gonna end up on one or the other. It won't matter if the airplane is aimed down the runway and the speed and attitude are correct at touch down. AMD/BA's trailing link landing gear on the -10 and -20 are SOFT as a baby's butt.

The things that make it easy to land are the smooth hydraulic controls, full authority yaw damper/rudder. Since you can use the rudder in flight for landing, there's no excuse about popping YD off a the last second and stepping into the slip. The airplane has no ground spoilers so there's no "nose slam down" to worry about, when you pull the engines to idle you get a true idle of about 30% N1, no high residual thrust to worry about and the trailing like landing gear are wonderful.

So go out there, get the feel in the seat of your pants and "Get Er Done" .... you'll love it.

TransMach
You left out a couple of things...

The planets have to also be in near perfect alignment and you also have to hold you mouth just so. ;)

'Sled

Once I got the touch figured out, landing the 10 was SMOOOOOOOOOTH...

On the other hand, I had 4 good bounces on a 3900-ft runway once. But by the time I got to the ramp, I had an excuse that had the boss rolling in the aisle, and everything was cool :)

Fly safe!

David

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back