Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HMR

I Live by the River.
It looks like we’re getting a Falcon 50 in 2005. The EX is a little out of our price range so it will have to be serial #'s 251(?) & below. I don’t know much about these planes and would appreciate any advice on what to look/look out for.

Specifically
Any systems problems on particular serial #’s? APU’s, Hydraulics, Electrical, etc.?

Other than avionics, were there any big changes made to the 50 before it became the EX?

Do the Collins EFIS 86/ UNS-1C work well with the Falcon AP?

Forward Lav vs. rear? Preferable seating arrangements?

If anyone has UltraNav for the 50, can you post the maximum takeoff weights for the following: 7800’ elev., 7000’ runway (KASE). 20C? 30C?

Any thoughts on taking a worn out, early serial # 50 and doing a thorough nose to tail overhaul (keeping the –3C engines) with an upgrade to Proline 21?

Finally, Our profile is 6 pax (3 small children) but would like to be able to carry 9 adults if needed. We’re based out of a sea level strip on the coast in SoCal. Typical destinations are Aspen and Boston with occasional trips to HI and Europe. Seems like the 50 is a good fit. Any comments?

PS-If anyone even mentions a Legacy I will trace your URL and lay some cyberhurt on you :D

Last edited:
All my 50 experience is 50EX time, but I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

First off I would probably stay away from the forward lav, it would have to be tiny in that plane... The aft lav works out well...

We can seat 9 in our 50's, we have a forward double club and then an aft single club and a 3 place divan...

Instead of spending the money on the ProLine21, I would go for either the 3D or -40 engine conversion... Would be better money spent in my opinion...

But hey, have you seen the new Legacy (i.e. WSofD)??? :D

Thar poor Legacy bastard cant catch a break.....

and rightfully so.

WSofD.

classic.

HMR- looked at any 900b's?...9 adults in a 50 sounds like torture.

Don't have the ultranav for the 50 anymore so someone else will have to help there. But to answer the rest of your q's................
HMR said:
It looks like we’re getting a Falcon 50 in 2005. The EX is a little out of our price range so it will have to be serial #'s 251(?) & below. I don’t know much about these planes and would appreciate any advice on what to look/look out for.

Specifically
Any systems problems on particular serial #’s? APU’s, Hydraulics, Electrical, etc.?
No, not really any major system problems other than "old is old".

Other than avionics, were there any big changes made to the 50 before it became the EX?
Aside from the BASC, no not really.

Do the Collins EFIS 86/ UNS-1C work well with the Falcon AP?
Yes on the ones I've flown.
Forward Lav vs. rear? Preferable seating arrangements?

Forward Lav gives more room in the cabin but pax hate it, especially the women. The boss loved it though when he went to Europe solo or just the wife. You can turn the curved divan into a decent sized bed.

If anyone has UltraNav for the 50, can you post the maximum takeoff weights for the following: 7800’ elev., 7000’ runway (KASE). 20C? 30C?

Any thoughts on taking a worn out, early serial # 50 and doing a thorough nose to tail overhaul (keeping the –3C engines) with an upgrade to Proline 21?

If you're gonna do that much, then I'd do the engines too.

Finally, Our profile is 6 pax (3 small children) but would like to be able to carry 9 adults if needed. We’re based out of a sea level strip on the coast in SoCal. Typical destinations are Aspen and Boston with occasional trips to HI and Europe. Seems like the 50 is a good fit. Any comments?

The 50 is an excellent domestic airplane but the tube is tiny for a full load of people going to Europe, especially from the west coast. SoCal to ASE, BOS, or HI should be no problem and no wet footprint. ASE to SoCal only gets tough on the hottest of days with a full pax load.

Hope this helps.

PS-If anyone even mentions a Legacy I will trace your URL and lay some cyberhurt on you :D

i think a pre-owned g4 would be better for the long trips to eur....it will be uncomfortable for everyone in the 50. get em to stretch for the upgrade. they will be happier in the end.

I would get the newest airplane you can afford. I believe after s/n 225 (?) there were some improvements. Otherwise I would only stay away from the very old airplanes. The biggest problem I have heard of is fuel tank corrosion.

EFIS-86/UNS: Works very well in my experience. There are also a few Sperry EFIS airplanes, and those work well also. I don't know if there are maintenance issues on the Sperry EFIS airplanes or not.

Forward/Aft lav: I have flown both a great deal. The forward lav reduces the galley and storage space a bit, and is not as nice a lav as the aft lav. However, it makes the cabin bigger, and allows the crew to use the lav without bothering the passengers. I never heard any complaints from anyone in the forward lav airplanes (or the aft lav airplanes, for that matter). And, the forward lav is a much better lav than you might imagine, if you have never seen one.

Ultranav: don't have it anymore, went to ASE lots and never had a problem.

Upgrading an airframe: I don't believe you will get your money out of an upgrade. Financially, I would buy one that someone else dumped a bunch of money into. However, upgrading yourself does give you more control over the end product, and if you anticipate keeping it for a long time, it may make sense.

The 50 sounds like a good fit for you! Good choice-- I miss it.

We were looking at the 50 at my last employer. There were some reports about corrosion at the wing root. An issue about dis-similar metals. No confirmation though. If correct, it could be expensive to repair.

Great info everyone. Keep it coming!

Gulfstream 200 said:
HMR- looked at any 900b's?...9 adults in a 50 sounds like torture.
I talked with my boss this evening about the pax loads. The nine people would include his 3 small children. My boss is about 5'8", 160 lbs. and he's the biggest of the "adults". We would only have a full boat on rare occasions. Still, do you think the 50 is too tight for HI and Europe with 4 or 5 pax (remember, we're currently flying the cavernous Astra)?

We would LOVE to get a 900B or old GIV but I think they're out of our price range.

they won't miss what they haven't experienced. i am sure they will like their new f50. 5-7 hours is no problemo. more than 7 hrs in a f50 would be uncomfortable in my opinion. but it is very subjective. on the bright side once you have spoiled them and they are hooked and realize the f50 is too tight for s.cali-paris they will get themselves a gulfstrm.

Latest resources

Back