fainted/passed out/lost consciousness

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A4Forever

On Saturday evening I did a face plant on the driveway. Was working on the garage door opener, up and down the ladder and bent over to pick up a tool and down I went. Left a large blood stain on the driveway so I know I went down there. Strange thing is that my wife found me behind the wheel of the car, strapped in with the motor running. Have no memory of hitting the concrete, getting into or starting the car. Spent 2 nights in the hospital. Cat scan of the brain and heart test show no abnormalities. Anyone have experience getting a medical back after an unexplained blackout? What hoops did you have to jump thru? All info appreciated.

Hey,
If this story is true, you've got tons of hoops to jump through. Your medical will be pulled for a minimum of 2 years. I had a buddy at the regionals who slipped on stairs and got a concussion at a football game. He told the FAA and was out for at least 2 years trying to get his medical back....just for a concussion. Luckily, he was able to push paper in the Chief Pilot's office until he was back on line. Best of luck, that's one of the strangest stories I've heard.
PS-Get a good doctor to push the paperwork quickly for ya.

Have they put a Holter monitor on you to check for unexplained arrythmias ? Check for hypoglycemia ?
Do doppler studies to ck for carotid artery occlusions ? On prescription (or OTC) meds ?

It is also possible to cause a vasovagal response by pressing on the carotids, so if you were wearing anything that might have constricted or put pressure on your neck when you bent over, that can induce a blackout.

Noting that you had been going up/down the ladder prior to bending over & passing out seems significant, depending on your physical condition. If you are a runner, and your BP is low as a result, that might be the answer. Of course, I know nothing about your medical history, and am just throwing out possibilies.

Glad you weren't seriously injured, and hope you're able to keep flying !

Thanks 11 and Rx. Yep, the story is true. I had a quad by-pass in 2003 and had A-fib for a while after the surgery but have been fine for over 4 years. Got my medical back after the by-pass surgery thanks to the best AME in the US. I was in A-fib when I got to the hospital on Saturday but the cardiologist couldn't say for sure if the a-fib caused the fall or the other way around. EKG after 2 hours showed sinus rythum. Have an appointment with my cardiologist on Tues but I think my AME is going to get a reading from the Feds before I start the holter monitor or any neurological testing. I'm 67 and if there is going to be an extended waiting period before I can reapply for a medical, I might just devote my time to my golf game. 46 yrs of flying might be enough. You think?

I'm 67 and if there is going to be an extended waiting period before I can reapply for a medical, I might just devote my time to my golf game. 46 yrs of flying might be enough. You think?

If that is what you think. Is flying a love or an occupation?

Nothing prevents you from becoming a weekend/weekday flyer by making some instructor's day and renting an airplane, an instructor, and just going flying.

Have an appointment with my cardiologist on Tues but I think my AME is going to get a reading from the Feds before I start the holter monitor or any neurological testing.

Greetings from another zipper club member.

Based on my experience, the Feds won't accept a Holter done sooner than 6 weeks from the incident.

14CFR67.109 says that the neurological criterion for a first class medical is no "disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation." See if you can get it explained...I would want a good explanation for my own peace of mind, anyway.

Thanks 11 and Rx. Yep, the story is true. I had a quad by-pass in 2003 and had A-fib for a while after the surgery but have been fine for over 4 years. Got my medical back after the by-pass surgery thanks to the best AME in the US. I was in A-fib when I got to the hospital on Saturday but the cardiologist couldn't say for sure if the a-fib caused the fall or the other way around. EKG after 2 hours showed sinus rythum. Have an appointment with my cardiologist on Tues but I think my AME is going to get a reading from the Feds before I start the holter monitor or any neurological testing. I'm 67 and if there is going to be an extended waiting period before I can reapply for a medical, I might just devote my time to my golf game. 46 yrs of flying might be enough. You think?

Hey A4, you sound like a poster child for the anti age 60+ guys. Slow down take it easy and enjoy the rest of your life. Really I mean all the best, enjoy! If you were an A4 giy in Vietnam, you have given your very best already!

Gentlemen. Thanks for the words of support and encouragment. I did fly A4s off the Hancock in Vietman and have always flown as a vocation and not for pure pleasure. 5 yrs in the Navy, 34 at a 121 and a little over 6 at a frax. My friends say I am an aviation whore. Fact is that I enjoy flying 9 or so days a month. Still leaves plenty of time for extra curricular activities. Not interested in being a poster boy for 60+ or cannon fodder for the anti 60+ folks, just doing what feels good. To each his/her own. If I can get my ticket back, I'll do it and retire on my own terms and not with a memory of the face plant. Thanks again. A4

Glad you're OK A4, thank you for your service.

Question on ERJ's light sport statement... I understand LSA and gliders to boot are somewhat different medically, but I was under the impression that if you KNOW something is wrong, you cannot clear yourself to fly. Example - you visit your family doc, not an AME, and the doc says "You've got flaming mitochondrial feedback syndrome" or some other nasty thing... you KNOW it is disqualifying, but you haven't strictly speaking failed an aviation medical. You cannot legally fly your LSA or glider in that state. True?

Latest resources

Back