Failure to Disclose

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

just farmin

Anyone have any experience with failure to disclose on an FAA medical app. Something came up that happened 20 years ago - wasn't and isn't disqualifying - but should have been reported. The good folks at virtual flight surgeons said it probably wouldnt be noticed, but if the wrong person got it could lead to revocation of pilot certs. Curious if anyone's been down this road.

Its going to be included on an evaluation of another nongrounding issue. Hasn't happened yet so I'm wondering if self disclosure is a better avenue. Lesson learned, don't use your ame as your primary care dr. Rookie mistake.

Yes.

ALPA Aeromedical (Virtual Flight Surgeons) collected all the pertinent info from me and submitted it to the FAA; when I got a response it was in the form of a Special Issuance letter & medical and ALPA Aeromedical/VFS was copied to the response. IIRC, Dr. Martin at VFS was the one who handled my case.

I was fretting for a while, but it was painless for me.

Boiler -
I'm with Dr Martin too. He's been great thus far. What exactly is a special issuance letter and medical? I should know, but I don't.
Thanks

Special issuance means u dont meet the med requirements without a waiver; the SI is the waiver.

I had an SI for a class 3 for being diabetic...

The report my primary Dr wrote up said the NIDDM was well controlled, no insulin was required, so OKC issued me a Class 3 under an SI.

I now have MS, so I let the medical lapse.

Last edited:
Boiler -
I'm with Dr Martin too. He's been great thus far. What exactly is a special issuance letter and medical? I should know, but I don't.
Thanks

To you as a pilot, the special issuance is a PITA that normally requires a doctor visit & completion of FAA paperwork prior to going to your AME; give your AME the completed paperwork and if it looks good they will issue you the medical and submit all paperwork to OKC. I get a First Class which would be good for 3 years (decaying to 3rd class), by my medical has a limitation that its only good for 12 calendar months regardless of class.

If your AME drops the ball on this paperwork (like mine did once) you'll get a nice letter from Dr. Silbermann saying you've got 30 days to provide the paperwork proving you are airworthy, otherwise they'll do an emergency revocation on your medical.

Other than taking a little extra time, effort and money...its fairly painless (at least my SI for ocular hypertension is).

Gen Lee still hasn't disclosed that little unfortunate rash he picked up that time in band camp.....

-The dr. has no idea what the hell it is, but it still hasn't killed the rabbit (although that bunny will probably come back from the netherworld and torture everyone involved when it finally does die a horrible, writing death.)

Latest resources

Back