Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snowman

Yeah,
Just had a horrible flight. Rough day. I am not so happy. How will this affect the rest of my career? At least next time I will nail the ride.
snowman

As a busted checkride survivor, I can attest to the fact that this will have little to no bearing on your career. The important thing is that you have the rating in-hand, which you will (retests are generally cake--the DE has his bust, and has nothing to gain by busting you again.)

Anyway, I think we all have a story or two about an examiner who was acting like a horse's posterior. This ain't a big deal, and is fairly easy to recover from.

What happened, and what will you do differently next time?

-Goose

Last edited:
Hey Snowman,

Don't sweat it. Personally, I think it is a good experience to fail one checkride in a pilot's life. Just when we start getting cocky and thinking we are all that as pilots, I believe any good pilot can recall some not-so-brilliant moments that we'd rather forget. It toughens us up and makes us more realistic in our assessment of ourselves. Join the club!

I've busted a checkride. It isn't a big deal.

If you are asked on an interview if you failed, admit to it, and its a great conversation piece during the interview .. I failed b/c blah blah blah and I didn't study enough blah blah blah ..

snowman said:
Yeah,
Just had a horrible flight. Rough day. I am not so happy. How will this affect the rest of my career? At least next time I will nail the ride.
snowman

How will this affect the rest of my career?
It won't.. Accept it and move on. Many have busted a ride and have not had any problems obtaining success or employment. If you have 4 or 5 busts then maybe it would pose a problem or two.

good luck

3 5 0

Thanks for the encouragement. Time to suck it up and move on... Appreciate the support. Glad to know I'm not as far down the hole as I thought. Have a happy NEW YEAR!
*sigh* still a little bummed. I'm no maverick, but I can fly the wings off a seminole.
snowman

If the wings come off, you've definately busted! ;)

Anyway -- why don't you share with us what went wrong? It'll be a good learning opportunity for those on here that have yet to take a checkride for the cert/rating you were working on ...

snowman said:
Thanks for the encouragement. Time to suck it up and move on... Appreciate the support. Glad to know I'm not as far down the hole as I thought. Have a happy NEW YEAR!
*sigh* still a little bummed. I'm no maverick, but I can fly the wings off a seminole.
snowman

Good Idea Vic, I will share with y'all. I can't tonight and will on Sunday. A great idea to help those to learn from my mistakes...
Snowman

Most of the people I know who have failed a checkride because of a stupid mistake probably caused by nerves have never made that same mistake after their checkrides. So from that perspective failing can be a good thing.

Don't sweat it, get right back on the horse and nail the re-check.

Latest resources

Back