• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAF on an ILS approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Me either, apparently, because as I kept re-reading the regulation, my observations appear to have taken some semblence to a 180 degree turn...

Avbug-

The new rule seems to be more permissive than 121, which surprises me a lot.

Also, why no stuff put out by the FAA to educate everyone on the new reg? For big changes, the usually send out an hbat or fsat or something.

Part 135 in a number of respects is more permissive, if that's the proper term, than Part 121. Due to the nature of the diversity of Part 135 operations, this is proper.

I don't know why the Administrator hasn't educated the public on this regulation...but without engaging in deep speculation, I might suppose that there's really no reason to do so.

As I stated in another discussion on the topic...I don't think the regulations are overly complicated, but the problem most pilots have is that they don't bother to read them in the first place. The golden standard is that ignorance of the law is no excuse for violation of the law, and that it is up to each one who is governed to know and act in accordance with the laws and regulations that govern him or her. As professionals, we are expected to know and understand the regulations as they apply to us as a most basic part of our preparation to do our jobs.

Here we see the regulation, modified at the time when changes were being made to 91K and 135, to address the concessions that became part of 135.4...eligible on-demand operators. The concessions of 135.4, made to attempt to level some of the playing field between 91 and 135 operators, demanded that various regulations be adjusted to address these changes. 135.225 does this by addressing the differences between a standard approach to an airport served by weather reporting, and one that is not, and includes the contingencies posed in the even that a weather report is received while flying into each.

I imagine that the education that needs to take place is each of us getting off our lazy backsides and reading the regulation...myself most especially.

Why is everyone making this so confusing -

For an ILS approach you are on the Final Approach Segment when you intercept the Glide slope at/or below the beginning of the Feather
(i.e. a published GS intercept altitude)

Once on the Feather you can continue the approach (part 121) if the weather drops below mins. But, don't trust me...I only have 520 hours and have never flown part 121 =)

RichardRambone said:
GS intercept while on the localizer is your FAF on a precision approach. Even if you're at 4000 feet or so. But, you still wait until you hit that maltese cross to start your 5 T's. That maltese cross is there if the GS is out of service, meaning it becomes a non-precision approach, to tell you where the FAF starts on a non-precision approach.

5 T's with an ILs/LOC approach??? What kind of dumba$$ intructor are you

5 Ts have to do with holding

Time (start your time)
Turn (turn to outbound heading)
Twist (twist the obs) that's Omni Bearing Selector dumba$$
Throttle (reduce to holding speed)
Talk (tell ATC your entering the hold)

Oh that's right...you "paid" someone on how to write your resume..I forgot your stupid and can't learn anything on your own...Good Luck...

Moderator edited for poor language...and it is interesting that you are poking fun at someone for having their resume done professionally yet you cannot use correct English yourself..."I forgot your stupid..." Hmmmm..something about casting stones?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMB170Pilot said:
5 T's with an ILs/LOC approach??? What kind of dumba$$ intructor are you

5 Ts have to do with holding

Time (start your time)
Turn (turn to outbound heading)
Twist (twist the obs) that's Omni Bearing Selector dumba$$
Throttle (reduce to holding speed)
Talk (tell ATC your entering the hold)

Oh that's right...you "paid" someone on how to write your resume..I forgot your stupid and can't learn anything on your own...
hmmm...well actually the way I was taught, the "5 T's" are for when you cross a fix...any fix...and waiting until you're entering the hold to reduce to holding speed is incorrect...you're supposed to start slowing 3 mins out.

I also fail to see what's wrong with paying someone to write a resume for you...not that I've done it yet, but I assume some day it'll happen.

-mini

Last edited by a moderator:
minitour said:
hmmm...well actually the way I was taught, the "5 T's" are for when you cross a fix...any fix...and waiting until you're entering the hold to reduce to holding speed is incorrect...you're supposed to start slowing 3 mins out.

I also fail to see what's wrong with paying someone to write a resume for you...not that I've done it yet, but I assume some day it'll happen.

-mini

3 mins or 5 miles out..correct on that

I dont see what is so hard about going to yahoo.com or google and typing in resume help or just going to barnesnnoble and doing a little research.

I mean a resume is not that hard to understand but it may be for some people I guess:rolleyes:

EMB170Pilot said:
I dont see what is so hard about going to yahoo.com or google and typing in resume help or just going to barnesnnoble and doing a little research.

I mean a resume is not that hard to understand but it may be for some people I guess:rolleyes:

True...and I guess my point wasn't clear enough.

What's a resume got to do with the FAF?

-mini

Latest resources

Back