Facts and Opinions on Emirates Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

+ Profit Sharing, + a big retirement plan, + having no housing costs, + having no medical costs, + having your kid's (up to 2) private American school paid for, + getting a ride to and from work, + getting an interest free loan for a car.

cliff
GRB

Hi!

+ Profit Sharing, + a big retirement plan, + having no housing costs, + having no medical costs, + having your kid's (up to 2) private American school paid for, + getting a ride to and from work, + getting an interest free loan for a car.

cliff
GRB

Sounds great but then you factor in the incredible inflation in Dubai (your purchasing power will decrease), the distance from home, the incredible heat during the summer, the lack of any control over your career (no union - you must obey management and whatever they tell you to do) and the suicidal drivers on the roads. Suddenly, the attractive package is not as attractive...

I remember how a bunch of Delta pilots left for EK about a year or two ago when the bankruptcy caused some concern about DAL's future - some of these pilots were reasonably junior. I am sure they are flying 777s by now. Was it worth it considering Delta's current condition? I wonder if they regret their decision?

Hi!

I know of one DAL 777 captain who went. I heard he couldn't believe how awesome Emirates was-the best airline situation he's ever been in.

cliff
YIP

This was straight from TC's mouth that if basings and jumpseat were to ever be brought up again in any meetings that individaul will be fire on the spot.
Gee, sounds like a great place to work. Nothing like terminations for asking a simple question. Why would anyone put up with that sort of treatment? The money really isn't all that great, even with the tax advantages.

Hi!

cliff
GRB

Three kids - not two.

BTW, i wont get into the knitty gritty details here - other than to say my experience here at EK has and continues to be very positive on all levels. On any level you can find an issue with a critic in any airline.

The bonus on top of all the perks and destinations is that there just are'nt that many airlines in the US where you go straight into the right (or left for that matter) of a 777 with a potential upgrade in three years. Line flying is a lot of fun here. if you are a glass half full guy - come on over - because we just dont want the half empty guys in our flightdecks

If you think it might be for you - dont listen to the detractors, come and take a look, get an offer then make the call.

Respectfully,

fareview

I may not be a smart man, but I do know what LUV is.

But, what's the deal with such low pay at a class airline like Emirates?

I don't what's up with the pay, I hear that's why guy are leaving. I rather fly for EK as we do now, with an Atlas 747 painted in their colors, the pay is better, and I don't have to live in the DESERT!

Hi!

cliff
GRB
Profit Sharing - Yes
Big Retirement Plan - Not bad but IMHO, not that great either. A good company contribution but fairly low benchmarks set for it's performance - over the last 10 years barely a 5% rate of return.
No Medical Costs - You do pay a nominal premium for your family.
Private American School paid for - NO. The allowance covers less than half of the fees for primary and about 70% of secondary. I have averaged $13,000 to $15,000 per year out of pocket for 2 children.

I'm not saying don't come - it's up to you to decide if it is an improvement over what you have but at least get accurate information.

Profit Sharing - Yes
Big Retirement Plan - Not bad but IMHO, not that great either. A good company contribution but fairly low benchmarks set for it's performance - over the last 10 years barely a 5% rate of return.
No Medical Costs - You do pay a nominal premium for your family.
Private American School paid for - NO. The allowance covers less than half of the fees for primary and about 70% of secondary. I have averaged $13,000 to $15,000 per year out of pocket for 2 children.

I'm not saying don't come - it's up to you to decide if it is an improvement over what you have but at least get accurate information.

Great post - look before you leap.

Just curious, but based on seat movement today and the rumormill, what would be the most direct path to the right seat of an A380 for a newhire beyond being hired into the aircraft? I have heard that Airbus pilots will be preferred over Boeing (777) pilots but I realize that could change at any point... If you are posted to the A330/340 fleet, would you have an edge to get onto the A380 eventually?

Also, does EK have any 787s on order?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back