Facebook and hiring at majors/nationals/lcc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bri5150

I understand it wouldn't be required to be on facebook to gain employment at carriers, but can/do they look there to try and gauge your personality before calling for an interview? There are people and situations I don't want to deal with, so I have resisted getting a page. I have heard horror stories of flight attendants having passengers trying to contact them. If it means I will have a better shot at employment, I guess it might be worth it. The networking aspect might be a good idea too.

Brian Seppman

You can make your page private.

I don't see it helping you directly though (it could hurt if you don't make it private and demonstrate poor judgment).

It probably has value as a way to stay in touch with people, but I think networking is most effective when it is born from a genuine relationship as opposed to some vague idea of career advancement.

Definitely good for networking, but keep all the settings for friends only to see anything and even better than that- don't put anything that could harm a career/ interview there in the first place. Beware that your "friends" can post embarrassing stuff to your facebook wall so you are not the only one controlling what others may or may not see, but at least if you manage the privacy functions of the site you can keep relatively clean as far as outsiders researching you goes.

GogglesPisano likes this.

What's Facebook?

Isn't that that interwebs-thingy where teenage girls hang out & tell each other how cool they are?

"I just watched the new (xyz) vampire moovie!"
"No way.!?"
"Way"

"I can't decide on Cheetos or Funnions"

"My trips to St. Barths was the best EVVAAAHHH"

"Not as cool as my ski trip to Gstade"
"It's pronounced 'Stade'...without the 'G'. You see you're not that cool"

A rich man doesn't have to tell you that he's rich and Facebook saves EVERYTHING, just like Google.

Use those places at your own risk.

Ben Franklin is now friends with William Franklin and 435,053 others

Ben Franklin likes SAMUEL ADAMS BREWERY

Last edited:
I am not sure that would be a good idea. What if one of your drunk friends posts a "funny" picture at 2am, and the next morning you potential future employer finds you facebook page?

I agree, facebook could hurt more than it will help. Too much personal exposure.

What do you do when SWA HR "friends" you? I can think of a few reasons to have Facebook and about 1,000 reasons not to...

Latest resources

Back