Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA's Fine Against SWA Mx Bad for Safety?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alcatraz

Regardless of whether SWA was in the wrong with their inspections or whether the fine is inappropriate, I think a bunch of us are missing the bigger issure here, which is the FAA's change in how it handles "self-disclosure."

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea of "self-disclosure" is to improve safety. If a company discovers through it's own internal auditing that it inadvertently isn't in compliance with a regulation, it discloses this info to the FAA along with a description of why it happened and what will be done to keep it from happening again. As a result of being proactive in it's compliance with regulations, a company would get a lesser penalty so it would be encouraged to self-disclose in the future. (Isn't this right? It's sorta like an ASAP or ASRS for airlines and contractors)

"Self-disclosure," as I have described above, is GOOD for safety because companies would be able to disclose processes and other types of mistakes that result in non-compliance, and the FAA and other companies in the industry could work together and share information to improve processes. Therefore, self disclosure should result in more industry-wide compliance with regulation (and theoretically, improve safety).

The problem with the $10mil fine against SWA is that SWA self-disclosed and still got slapped with a big fine! Won't this make all airlines and aviation companies... not just SWA... LESS likely to self-disclose, resulting in less information being passed around the industry, ultimately affecting safety in a negative way?

Combine this with the problems that ASAP programs just ran into a few weeks ago with the Comair crash in LEX and I'd say aviation safety, especially in relation to human factors, has taken a big step back in the last few weeks.

Is my description of self-disclosure wrong? Or are my perception of how penalties resulting from self disclosures wrong? I'm no expert on FAA enforcement issues. What do you all think?

I thought the standard fine was $10000 per violation. That would make the proper fine in the hundreds of millions. I would say the fine is bad for safety because it only is $180 per flight. And as for self-disclosing, the violation was no accident. It was intentional.

Southwest self disclosed last spring and the plane are finally getting fixed, a year later. So they were not fined for self disclosing they were fined because the kept flying the aircraft with out fixing them.

So they were not fined for self disclosing they were fined because the kept flying the aircraft with out fixing them.

Horse********************! The FAA (our governing body) agreed to a MX inspection plan which we completed in 10 days after their approval.

I don't know the details about we we initially missed the inspections, or why the FAA let us continue to fly for the next 10 days, but I do know that the governing body approved our plan to inspect the aircraft and that we complied with the mutually agreed upon plan within 10 days.

We grounded the planes today after we found out the FAA was "cozy" with our MX supervisors in an attempt to make sure we have done what we should have done, regardless of what the FAA said was ok. It seems obvious that we made some mistakes and the FAA allowed us to make them.

If the governing body approves it, it should be on them. This is just legislative grandstanding.

"The FAA" didn't approve your delayed mx plan, your PMI did. He has no authority to do any such thing, and your company knows it. Why do SWA pilots insist on making excuses for this? You should be outraged at your company for forcing you to fly potentially unsafe airplanes without your knowledge.

The FAA" didn't approve your delayed mx plan, your PMI did.

You are an idiot if you believe that. Our PMI is our FAA representative who speaks and acts on behalf of the FAA. Our PMI is the FAA as far as any airline is concerned. He is the authority for the FAA. What he agrees to, is what we go by.

Do you think that a waiver in your ops specs doesn't trump a FAR? The FAA representatives who grant waivers, etc. have the power to trump FAR's. What they say goes.

Obviously, there are issues that neither you or I are aware of here, but to think the PMI doesn't have the power to make exceptions or grant waivers just shows your lack of knowledge.

You should do some research. Your understanding of the POI's/PMI's power is incorrect. He has zero authority to override required mx inspections.

Last edited:
Let me guess, you are the CFI that tries to argue with the check airmen?

Your infinite wisdom is overwhelming. I will leave you to worry about your own mess at America West.

Good luck.

I don't work at America West. Wrong again.

Latest resources

Back