Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2000flyer

EASY FLYER
Beginning September 6th the FAA will come into compliance with international standards and require SIC's to be typed.

From NBAA:

Second-in-Command Pilot Type Rating Final Rule Issued
On Thursday, August 4, the FAA released a final rule on a new second-in-command (SIC) pilot type rating. The new rule, effective on September 6, will bring the U.S. Federal Aviation Regulations into compliance with international standards on pilot certificates. The SIC final rule requires pilots who plan to fly outside of U.S. airspace and land in foreign countries to obtain the SIC pilot type rating. The final rule provides two means for obtaining the SIC rating: SIC familiarization training and an SIC training program, both detailed within the rule. NBAA commented on this proposal in November 2004, resulting in the FAA clarifying certain aspects of this rule, specifically limiting the rule to only international operations. For more information, contact NBAA's Operations Service Group at [email protected] or download the final rule at:
http://web.nbaa.org/public/ops/sic/FAA-2004-19630_05-113.pdf

Cpt's and FO's are all doing the same initials and same recurrents. Absolutely no reason they shouldn't be already typed.

Glad they will be now.

What is the difference between an SIC type, and a PIC type? Are there going to be two different type ratings, one for SIC and one for PIC, or only one type rating?

I haven't read the rule yet (17 pages in length). As far as I know, there is absolutely no difference in the SIC and PIC type as it stands now.

As for the Bahama's, I don't know, but you have to return to the US and clear customs. That is when they would get you if your SIC wasn't typed. For several years, especially in South America and France, they've been cracking down on this rule, going as far as impounding aircraft and detaining crew. Remember, in the EU (and probably other countries), a ICAO violation can lead to jail time!

2000Flyer

Forgive my double post then. I was in recurrent all last week and didn't have much time to spend on flightinfo.

2000Flyer

Icelandair said:
Will Canada count for this new rule? We fly to YVR all the time.

Again, the hitch is you'll be in violation of FAR's re-entering the U.S.

Latest resources

Back