FAA to JAA converstion question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jamiestrat

If I decide to convert my FAA to JAA, will that make me lose my FAA licenses? Or will I still have my FAA licenses, but also now JAA?

You earned your FAA you keep you're FAA, you Earn your JAA you keep your JAA, They call it a conversion but it's just really using some of your time to apply for a foregin liscense, you still have to take all of the JAA exams, and there is a bunch of them ^-^

FAA to JAA

I started work on the conversion last year because I could see that I was going to miss the age 60 cutoff at US Airways (I did by six weeks). It' an ordeal and a lot more involved than appears on the surface. Once you get the JAA, you still have to get work permits if you plan on flying in Europe - again, another significant hurdle.

Of course, it can be done, but not overnight.

It's hard - like working for US Airways for 22 years.

If I decide to convert my FAA to JAA, will that make me lose my FAA licenses? Or will I still have my FAA licenses, but also now JAA?

You can get a JAA validation if an airline is in need of qualified pilots. Im holding a French validation at the moment which was pretty much an overnight thing. Im not really sure what it says as its written in French? Maybe its a denial letter and my company is lying to me??? I guess I will find out next time I get ramped :)

Im about to take on the 14 exams though... But as Apache says, getting the license is only part of the process to gaining employment...

Bling, how did you get your french validation? did you get hire via a contract company and how long the validation is good for?
thanks.

Well I have a British passport already, so it would just be the conversion for me. I'd just like to have an alternate in my back pocket when the US airline industry tanks even more.....Oh wait hasn't that happened?? I suppose if the industry tanks in the US it will be quickly followed by Europe and the rest.

Well I have a British passport already, so it would just be the conversion for me. I'd just like to have an alternate in my back pocket when the US airline industry tanks even more.....Oh wait hasn't that happened?? I suppose if the industry tanks in the US it will be quickly followed by Europe and the rest.

it doesn t seem to be the case. look at air france/klm lufthansa and brisitsh airways, they don t seem to look too bad.
and for the conversion you could to go naples air center.com (nac.com or something) everything is explained there. it shows what you need to do according to your level of experience. (its a lot unless you have 3000tt and 1500 pic on aircraft > 30 tons)
good luck

How much money does the conversion take?? Are there designated places to take the exams in the US?? Is it home study or must you attend classes??

Okay people. Im tired of the pms...

I got my Frech validation because the airline I am contracting with needed pilots to fly 2 aircraft with F registrations. My validation expires at the end of this month. Apparently the French will validate me and the others until the end of September provided we begin our JAA conversion.

These validatons are airline specific deals worked out with the authorities. I guess my deal was good for one year just to get the CRJ operation up and running with the promise that JAA pilots will come in to finish the job. So far that has not happened and the French are pissed! I guess my JAA will be paid for now (if I choose to stay)!

Latest resources

Back