• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA to boost co-pilot req....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There will be/is no shortage of pilots. Only a shortage willing to work for $24000/yr.

The BRAINWASHING never ends. There NEVER HAS or EVER will be a pilot shortage. Quick upgrades and regular movement are a thing of the past. NEVER again will we see the growth or movement of the 90's.

I think we all knew that 1500 was never going to happen. I'll bet in the end there will be enough exceptions that 700 won't happen in many cases either, there will be a shortcut built into the language somewhere for pilots willing to undergo "special advanced training." The regionals need a ready supply of pilots working very cheap or their business models will not work and the industry generally gets what it wants. I suspect that a few years down the road when retirements start to drive a wave of hiring at the larger carriers and the regionals start to get drained the promise of a career in the "the big show" will get young people lining up to be pilots again regardless of the cost of training and low starting wages.

If things really start to move the industry will be pushing for waivers to allow captains with less than 1500 hours and if they say it's necessary to protect their businesses and create/preserve jobs they will get it. Nothing is going to stop them from paying low wages to inexperienced applicants as long as there are pilots lining up to take the jobs.

Considering the volume of coming retirements the career path for a young person entering flight training in the next few years looks pretty good but many things can happen to change that outlook.

Did anyone really expect the FAA to put the safety of the flying public over the financial interests of the industry?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

the same requirement that the govt uses for the military should apply to civilian flying.

You mean put every aspiring civilian pilot on a small salary and send them to a self contained intensive 1-2 year course on flying where they alternate between ground school sessions and instructional flights on a daily basis without any other job requirements?

In the initial plane I flew in the military you needed 1000 hrs to be PIC. But hornet drivers are PIC's with less than 200 hrs.

I think we all knew that 1500 was never going to happen. I'll bet in the end there will be enough exceptions that 700 won't happen in many cases either

"I think we all knew that 1500 was never going to happen."

In the 1930's with a pilot shortage prior to WWII, a small unknown union called ALPA helped established a 1500 hour flight time as Captain with a certificate called the ATR.

Now 80 years later the same union with a membership of "WEAK" pilots can't hold the line after witnessing 10 years of abuses by carriers hiring unqualified, underpaid, pilots.

It is disappointing America has fallen victim to business and labor knows they are unable to address the issues. ALPA is a joke because of all its funny pilots.

You mean put every aspiring civilian pilot on a small salary and send them to a self contained intensive 1-2 year course on flying where they alternate between ground school sessions and instructional flights on a daily basis without any other job requirements?

In the initial plane I flew in the military you needed 1000 hrs to be PIC. But hornet drivers are PIC's with less than 200 hrs.

You forgot the biggest difference between military aviation and the civilian world:

If you aren't a good pilot, the military puts you in another career field--civilians let you write a check for another ride.

Latest resources

Back