• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TMMT

JULY 9 , 2002

FAA Plans Shift to One Type of Instrument Approach

In a significant change designed to squeeze more capacity from available airspace and increase flight safety, the FAA plans to replace 18 different kinds of instrument approaches with a single, ILS-like procedure. Based on required navigation performance (RNP) and area navigation concepts, the new RNP RNAV approaches will use the aircraft FMS to create procedures that eliminate stepped or non-precision approach paths. In their place, longer stabilized glideslope approaches using ILS-like cockpit guidance and procedures will emerge. The major benefits to operators of properly equipped aircraft will be reduced training costs, lower approach minimums and, presumably, enhanced safety. To take advantage of the RNP RNAV procedures, which also will include SIDs and STARs, no new avionics should be required for corporate aircraft equipped with modern flight management systems. Bob Blouin, NBAA v-p of operations, pointed out that the large majority of his organization’s members are already RNAV-equipped. He stressed that widespread industry training over the next several years will be a critical component in the transition to RNP RNAV approaches.

TMMT said:
The major benefits to operators of properly equipped aircraft will be reduced training costs, lower approach minimums and, presumably, enhanced safety.
Everyone else can just pack sand, presumably.

I searched high and low to find the FMS in my C-172 , but didn't discover it until I got home and happened to glance in the mirror.

Good point...

What the hell are we all supposed to do???

Either buy 5 172's, or buy one fully qualified FMS system!!!

Boy, the FAA is really working round the clock on this one!

FMS and MLS v. ILS

Remember how a bunch of years ago the FAA was promoting the MLS approach system? How it advertised better accuracy and even curving approaches around obstacles or whatever? You saw how far that got.

While I'm sure there are other MLS approaches out there, the only one that I recall that received any publicity was the one in Avon, Colorado that was a proprietary procedure for Rocky Mountain Airways.

I dunno how much an FMS box weighs, but it sure seems as if it would kill the useful load of a 172.

Wouldn't an approved, dash-mounted GPS do the trick in the 172? I know they ain't cheap, but they're light and RNAV compliant.

Isn't the WAAS system being touted as making this type of approach available to a 172 with the proper GPS unit? I seem to recall vertical navigation being a part of the deal.

I am guessing this will probly make it as far as the TLS system did. If you don't know what TLS is it stands for Transponder Landing System and you put a special code in your transponder and it will work just like an ILS.

Latest resources

Back