Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really? No fly?
C'mon,

Maybe something like a 6 month visit to the no-fly list might get peoples attention. Break the law, head to the penalty box.

Now I know as do you that using an iPad/iphone/digital camera is not going to cause a problem, but dammit those are the rules. If the traveling public absolutely cannot live without using these devices for takeoff and landing, then they need to petition the FAA to change the rules.

Well, I hear you- but I might join them-
It undermines crews' authority when our biggest hassle and enforcement issue isn't fully understood or even followed by most crew

I think he meant ban them completely (above 10,000 ft)

I'm sure that's exactly what he meant. IMO, he needs to grow up a bit and learn to follow the rules. I think the rule is pretty dumb myself but they didn't ask me. My 6 yr old is allowed to play video games sometimes and not allowed at other times. I don't have to ban them from my house to have my son follow the rules. And he's 6....

Ipads and Kindles are all approved for use on the airplanes from start to finish. Pilots use them for manuals and Jepps. The rule is because of safety. People boarding on their Ipods and phones are oblivious to what is going on around themselves. Imagine what would happen if there was a planeload of people on Ipads and Phones and an emergency happened on taxi out or takeoff? Most PAX are clueless anyway.

Ipads and Kindles are all approved for use on the airplanes from start to finish. Pilots use them for manuals and Jepps. The rule is because of safety. People boarding on their Ipods and phones are oblivious to what is going on around themselves. Imagine what would happen if there was a planeload of people on Ipads and Phones and an emergency happened on taxi out or takeoff? Most PAX are clueless anyway.

^^ this :)

You sure about that? Maybe 2 Ipads on the flight deck as EFBs, but I don't think that's meant to mean blanket approval for who knows how many in the cabin. Post a link if you have it.

Or landing....I wonder how many people on the Air France A-340 in Toronto were on the phone or ipad...over 200 off the wreck in less than 90 seconds.....

I say let them have them on ,but they have to wear the earphones!....makes for a nice quit cabin.

Change the rule. The rule is dumb. I know it, you know it, we know it. An ever more tech-savvy society also knows it. When they get a wiff of "stupid" (the electronics announcement) that taints every other anouncement that actually has validity...

Oh and the FAA letter is pure comedy when issued to a "civilian". As an Airman, try to get something of real importance in writing from the FAA and it takes 6 months ("lack of manpower"), but they are johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to non-sense...

Latest resources

Back