• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA proposes Colgan fines for rest violations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in those days it was unusual but not unheard of to fly on your 7th day. Notice it is a 24hr reg, you would fly something in the morning have your 24 hours off and be good to go again the next day. Another practice that was used sparingly was to fly a round trip in the morning, have your 8 hours off and fly the last departure in the evening. These were all technically legal but not common. Back then Colgan was all out stationed based, so crews were limited and they would do this in a pinch. I'm not saying this was right or wrong, but if they were talking of these practices, legal. Now if they invaded that 24 or 8 hour window that is obviously illegal but I never knew it to happen. But I have been gone since Fall of '08.

Yep, but who will pay the bigger price? Most companies would simply throw the crew under the bus and drive back and forth a few times for good measure.

Yeah I agree. Just wanted to point it that technically, they are both at fault, not just the company. Hence, the they are being fined.

Back in those days it was unusual but not unheard of to fly on your 7th day. Notice it is a 24hr reg, you would fly something in the morning have your 24 hours off and be good to go again the next day. Another practice that was used sparingly was to fly a round trip in the morning, have your 8 hours off and fly the last departure in the evening. These were all technically legal but not common. Back then Colgan was all out stationed based, so crews were limited and they would do this in a pinch. I'm not saying this was right or wrong, but if they were talking of these practices, legal. Now if they invaded that 24 or 8 hour window that is obviously illegal but I never knew it to happen. But I have been gone since Fall of '08.

I thought the term 1 calendar day off in 7 was the reg...

Each airline has it written as 24hr or 1 calendar day. The FAA has it written as 24 consecutive hours.

I thought the term 1 calendar day off in 7 was the reg...

d) Each certificate holder conducting domestic operations shall relieve each flight crewmember engaged in scheduled air transportation from all further duty for at least 24 consecutive hours during any 7 consecutive days.

Latest resources

Back