FAA Medical Doctor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
I used my AME as my own physician for a while. At one point, I was banged pretty hard in a jump incident, and he ended up cutting out the stitches, removing the casts, and keeping tabs on me for nearly a year after that. I'd much rather have separated the two, and do today. In fact, today I see the AME every six months, and don't visit a doctor unless my insides are on the outside.

I had my forehead stitched in an ER a few weeks ago, and that was the first time being actually treated officially for anything or for visiting a doctor (outside of Class 1 physicals) in some time...I plan to make it a whole lot longer between visits the next time.

Regarding doctors in general...I flew a family to Michian to see a college foodball game. They bought us tickets to see the game, so we were obligated to go. That was the first, and last time I've been to a game. Between sitting hunched over, bored to tears on the hard bleachers and the food (?), I got indigestion by the third quarter and decided to go look for some rolaids.

Now, if I ownedthe concession there, I'd be all for selling rolaids by the case load. Not one of the pretzl stands or concession places had any such thing, so I thought I'd wonder by the first aid shack and see what they had. Big mistake.

When I told them what I wanted, they asked why, and the next thing I knew, I was flat on my back in their emergency room, my shirt open, and leads stuck to my chest hair. In short order a doctor shows up, tells me I'm having a heart attack, and tells me he's arranged for an ambulance to take me to the hospital. I informed him that would happen over my dead body, he told me he couldn't release me, and I said I'd be leaving. He was just about to summon security when I suggested a compromise. I told him I thought it was indigestion, he thought it was a cardiac issue. I suggested some mylanta; if it goes away in five minutes, I'll leave the facility, if it stays, I'll take the ride to the hospital.

I've had bad indigestion for years, take mylanta and other good stuff like it's candy, and it does go away. It didn't go away in five minutes but when he asked me how I felt, the correct response was "just fine!" Moments later a genuine cardiac patient showed up who was having a massive MI, and the medical team got busy. I ripped off the monitors, grabbed a stretch of EKG to show to a physician friend at home, and zipped out the door.

Had that been on home turf, and had the attending physician been my AME, doubtless I could have kissed flying goodby. My own friend viewed the EKG and said doubtless I'd been misdiagnosed, and he was glad I'd done what I did; he's a pilot too, and he knew the consequences. I'm certainly not advocating those with stomach or chest pain to forgo treatment, but be careful what you wish for or accept. Including treatment by the AME who is your own physician.

One advantage to not having a doctor is having no one to call in the event little incidents like the above surface. Nobody to pass on that information to, including one's home AME. I've retold the incident to AME's since, including during an EKG here recently for the regulas Class 1 physical. No reason to suspect such a thing, he said, and laughed about it. Had that yokel in Michigan tugged me to the ER over his misdiagnosis, I certainly wouldn't be laughing about a ruined career.

Separate your AME from your home treatment, and buy stock in Mylanta. It's worth it's weight in...chalk.

I don't mean to tell you your business (not that you'd listen anyways) but recurring reflux could be indicative of more serious problems, such as peptic ulcers and quite possible gallstones.(don't ask me how I know) Do yourself a BIG favor and see a real good, board-certified GI physician and save yourself a lot of pain and suffering.

freightdogfred said:
I don't mean to tell you your business (not that you'd listen anyways) but recurring reflux could be indicative of more serious problems, such as peptic ulcers and quite possible gallstones.

... or esophogeal cancer. I had the unfortunate task of informing the GI lab that my father wouldn't be keeping his 1-yr check-up appointment.

freightdogfred said:
I don't mean to tell you your business (not thatyou'd listen anyways) but recurring reflux could be indicative of moreserious problems, such as peptic ulcers and quite possiblegallstones.(don't ask me how I know) Do yourself a BIG favor and see areal good, board-certified GI physician and save yourself a lot of painand suffering.

True this. I used to work in a GI lab...better safe than sorry.

Stephanie

Latest resources

Back