• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA job question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We're all talking about the Safety Inspector positions? I'm assuming since there are few other openings. Do you think that's a good gig? HHmm...

We're all talking about the Safety Inspector positions? I'm assuming since there are few other openings. Do you think that's a good gig? HHmm...

You are right!! No one wants a secure (won't be sold or go bankrupt) job with mostly nights and weekends off. A job where you keep your senority even if you leave and come back. Where you pick your hotels when you travel. Where your retirement is (for the present) a known amount. I could go on... I can see what you mean....

Any job has good points and bad points. This is the only aviation job I ever had where I banked money, knew the paycheck was every other week, plus the pay and vacation increases every couple years..

However, I do miss all the glory in aviation.....

JAFI

You are right!! No one wants a secure (won't be sold or go bankrupt) job with mostly nights and weekends off. A job where you keep your senority even if you leave and come back. Where you pick your hotels when you travel. Where your retirement is (for the present) a known amount. I could go on... I can see what you mean....

Any job has good points and bad points. This is the only aviation job I ever had where I banked money, knew the paycheck was every other week, plus the pay and vacation increases every couple years..

However, I do miss all the glory in aviation.....

JAFI

Settle down Beavis! You're a little jumpy. I was being serious. I was asking if guys thought it was a great job. I was looking for serious responses. I get the feeling that you've defended your leave (flying gig) one too many times and you're a little peeved. I wasn't knocking your position. You always this edgy? :laugh:

Might have to MEL that damn jumpseat!

Last edited:
You misread my post. I am not jumpy and am quite settled. I was throwing some humor and some reality into your question.

MEL the jump seat? So there is no misunderstanding here, I will explain. I hate the jumpseat. Depending on the aircraft it is anywhere between fair to down right painful. But it is part of the job. I do enjoy getting out of the office and you can't complain about looking out the front windows compared to the last seat in a 727 with the engine screaming in your ear.

Every couple months some body decides they will test the system and deny me the jumpseat. The reasons vary. I use to keep a copy of the jumpseat regulations and try to educate. But, it kept happening. One captain "did not recognize my authority to use the jumpseat". I said "you may have something here, let's call your chief pilot and get his view on this". You see the violation is against the PIC or the company depending on who decides on the deny part. I know the Chief Pilot and he is not a "Happy man" so I would enjoy the phone call but the Captain most likely would not.

MEL the jump seat, well that usually throws up a bunch of red flags and gets the Maintence Inspectors out in force to re-check the MEL process company wide. Some times it is good to do an entire system review. To the reason why I am in the jumpseat. I do ask for the Captains name to tell a company person why I can't be there to observe a new Captain on his final IOE ride, observe a Check Airman or DE for re-certification, or to do a function to keep the company legal. Management seldom calls me to be somewhere unless they really need me to do so.

It is hard to pick up subtle humor in this forum sometimes. Talking about MELing the jumpseat to a FED is like reminding a pilot of the 44709 process. Not many think it is funny......

And I say this in a calm and settled manor.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back