Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sherpa

Fairly Nice Guy, FNG
Ouch! $400,000 for a mechanic not signing off the paperwork. Oops.

By: Matt Molnar

A missing signature might cost Atlantic Southeast Airlines $400,000.
Safety watchdogs at the FAA have proposed the hefty civil penalty against the now defunct regional carrier.

Following some routine maintenance on a Bombardier CRJ in July 2010, ASA is accused of operating 49 revenue flights over an eight day span. The problem: No one signed off on the work.
“ASA maintenance returned the aircraft to service after routine work, but without an authorized signature on the airworthiness release and without an appropriate entry in the aircraft’s flight discrepancy log,” the agency said in a statement.
There was no accusation that the plane was unfit for service or that maintenance was performed incorrectly, but documentation failures are taken very seriously.
ASA ceased to exist as an independent entity in December 2011 when it merged with ExpressJet. Atlantic Southeast had previously operated flights on behalf of Delta Connection and United Express

Thank God the FAA is looking out for us...What would we do without them taking care of us....I'm sure they have never made a mistake with paperwork....:rolleyes:

It was a proposal of $400,000, we may never know how much they'll actually get fined if anything.

Anyone know if it was a 200 or 700/900?
Just waiting for that email from a CP saying I flew that a/c without the proper sign-offs....

Anyone know if it was a 200 or 700/900?
Just waiting for that email from a CP saying I flew that a/c without the proper sign-offs....

The company has been aware of this since it happened. Remember the two 200's that were damaged in BTR, then repaired? Those are the ones.

Thank God the FAA is looking out for us...What would we do without them taking care of us....I'm sure they have never made a mistake with paperwork....:rolleyes:

how is the merger/absorb with Skywest going anyway? You getting the same drama as when we talked about merging the Comair list? or is it going to go straight DOH?

Latest resources

Back