FAA Certificates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aubrey770

The way I read the FAR's, both crew members on a two pilot US registered jet are required to have FAA certificates for the duty being performed. This includes foreign crew members that are certificated in their home country. i.e. on a US registered Hawker on a paid Part 91 flight flown IFR, a Mexican co-pilot would be required to have at a minimum, a FAA ailplane commercial MEL with an instrument rating.

The only exception to the above it a US registered airplane that is leased to a foreign operator.

Your thoughts?

Your certificate needs to be issued by the country who's registration is on the tail.

Want to fly a N registered aircraft, you need an FAA certificate.

I'm not aware of any exemptions of that what you mentioned.

What you say is correct, however it can be very easy to get a temporary license to fly non N-registered aircraft as a U.S. pilot. For example, in order to complete the acceptance flight on our challenger, I had to get a temporary Canadian license from Transport Canada. It took about 15 minutes and it was good for a year. Of course, I could not work in Canada as a pilot. I was only allowed to fly C-registered aircraft for the purpose of aircraft delivery.

Actually, there is an ICAO rule which the FAA has also copied that basically says that the nationality of your pilot certificate must match one of two things. The nationality of the airspace or the registration of the aircraft. I don't have a copy of the regs in front of me, but it is there. I have done test flights on numerous foreign registered aircraft over the years with no issue from the feds.

In the case of the Hawker in FXE, the Mexican pilot needed to have a US certificate as he flew out of Mexican airspace. However, a temporary could have been issued by the FAA. On the other hand, a large number of Mexican pilots do come to the states to do their training.

Last edited:
The nationality of the airspace or the registration of the aircraft. I don't have acopy of the regs in front of me, but it is there.

I remember riding many times on Hawaiian Air DC-9's back in Hawaii that had Irish registration marks.

Latest resources

Back