FAA Certificate Currency w/Foreign Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TD_Klondike

So I live and work in D.R. Congo, formerly Zaire. My FAA currency is set to expire at about the same time that my contract here ends, so I'm planning on going back to the US to get a BFR. I'm working on the assumption that the FAA will not recognize a proficiency check by the Congolese authorities, but I haven't been able to post this question directly to the FAA because I can't find the question form on their website.

Part 61 doesn't mention checkrides in a foreign country or under a foreign authority, I can't find ICAO regs online, and I can't read them here because they're in french. Does anybody have any experience with this?

61.56(c)(1)"Accomplished a flight review ...by an authorized instructor."

61.1(b)(2) "Authorized instructor means-
...(ii) A person who holds a current flight instructor certificate issued under part 61..."

I think this is the only way to get a flight review endorsement. It can be in a foreign registered airplane in a foreign country but must be with an FAA CFI.

TD, it is no longer a BFR, it is called a "Flight Review". Nosehair has the correct reference.

ICAO does not issue regulations and their "suggestions for operation" are not enforceable or regulatory. Each member state can include ICAO suggestions into their countries regulations then enforce those regulations on any one operating in their airspace. ICAO is not a regulatory agency.

http://www.icao.int/

The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) apply to pilots who wish to exercise the privileges of a U.S. pilot certificate.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back