• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SoundBarViolatr

Yankee Air Pirate
Heartfelt block

The FAA Medical Board is putting on the pressure and I need your advice.

My father recently retired from an overseas airline and came back to the states. He had a heart bypass surgery 13 years ago, but later was cleared to fly again by the Aviation Administration where the company was based. Now back in the US and looking to work in Corporate, he accomplished a Class I Flight Physical screening almost a year ago. Since it is the initial FAA screening after the bypass, he provided the AME with all the medical tests and letters that cleared him to fly again with the foreign Aviation Administration. A couple of months later, the FAA came back and asked for a threadmill stress test and an endorsement letter from a Cardiologist. He went to a Cardioligist in Los Angeles and not only did he meet the requirements of the threadmill stress tests, but exceeded them onto the next level. The papers were then sent to meet the FAA board this past month. A week later, he received another letter from the Feds, this time wanting a full blown angiogram.

I may just be ignorant to their process, but does this not appear to be axx backwards? Why would you subject an individual to a stress test and later on ask for another one to try to find out if there is something else that could have killed him during the first test that he passed??

He has been working odd jobs to make ends meet but the core of his savings from his lump sum retirement pay is quickly draining into nothing (the airline he worked for was in a third world country). I can barely help him out as I am fresh out of Active Duty and am just starting my civilian career. We need help and advice on what direction to take or where to go for help with the very little money that we have.

I appreciate any input or connections that you guys may have.

SB

Last edited:
SoundBarViolatr said:
The FAA Medical Board is putting on the pressure and I need your advice.

My father recently retired from an overseas airline and came back to the states. He had a heart bypass surgery 13 years ago, but later was cleared to fly again by the Aviation Administration where the company was based. Now back in the US and looking to work in Corporate, he accomplished a Class I Flight Physical screening almost a year ago. Since it is the initial FAA screening after the bypass, he provided the AME with all the medical tests and letters that cleared him to fly again with the foreign Aviation Administration. A couple of months later, the FAA came back and asked for a threadmill stress test and an endorsement letter from a Cardiologist. He went to a Cardioligist in Los Angeles and not only did he meet the requirements of the threadmill stress tests, but exceeded them onto the next level. The papers were then sent to meet the FAA board this past month. A week later, he received another letter from the Feds, this time wanting a full blown angiogram.

I may just be ignorant to their process, but does this not appear to be axx backwards? Why would you subject an individual to a stress test and later on ask for another one to try to find out if there is something else that could have killed him during the first test that he passed??

He has been working odd jobs to make ends meet but the core of his savings from his lump sum retirement pay is quickly draining into nothing (the airline he worked for was in a third world country). I can barely help him out as I am fresh out of Active Duty and am just starting my civilian career. We need help and advice on what direction to take or where to go for help with the very little money that we have.

I appreciate any input or connections that you guys may have.

SB

The AME he got his first class medical with should have seen this coming, collected all this data right along with submitting the application for his current medical certificate, not after. His AME is the one he should be jumping on to get ahead of the game. If his current AME is incapable, have his first AME find another AME who deals with this stuff more often and knows what to expect. Not all AME's are made equal, some actually know how to deal with the FAA.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is good information for those working abroad, keep the FAA medical current, no matter where you are flying you can usually find an AME that is qualified to sign you off for a US, UK or Aus medical, the funny thing is that the US FAA medical is one of the weakest exams in the industry, go figure.

He needs a Dr that is proactive for his case.ALPA uses a group in DEN that is very good and I'm pretty sure they a available to anybody ..I'll try and see if I can find the web page...

All these tests (thallium stress test, Echocardiogram, Angiogram), along with their results and original tapes, CD-ROMS and a statement from a cardiologist attesting to your overall cardio health and risk factors are required as part of the original submittal to the FAA the first time you apply for a special issuance medical certificate (which is what they give you when you would otherwise not meet the standards....such as after bypass surgery).

Any knowledgeable AME would know this and ensure your father had everything in order before submitting to the FAA. As was mentioned, the AOPA or ALPA aeromedical staff can assist in supplying a checklist and other information as to the required tests and other information the FAA will need in order to determine if he is qualified for a special issuance medical certificate.

One other thing. This certificate, if issued, will be issued for a specific period of time. Then, more testing (probably not as extensive) will be required and another submittal to the FAA will be necessary for another special issuance medical certificate. However, after the first few, a letter from the cardiologist stating basically that there has been no change in his overall health since the last issuance may be satisfactory.

If you send them the required information, the list of what is required to be submitted is available from numerous sources, and simply follow their instructions, for matters that have become routine, such as coronary artery disease and bypass surgery, it does not "drag on for years". The "dragging on" is self-induced by pilots who do not follow the instructions or provide the requested information.

Of course, everyone has a story about a dad or an uncle or a friend who has some horror story....but I can almost guarantee they were all started because of a lack of preparation, information and incomplete submittal to the FAA.

Last edited:
His inital AME was well known out of VNY. From what I gather, it seems as the Doc did not look out for him. He was last working with a Cardiologist (who is also a Private Pilot) in Mission Viejo for his stress tests. I will forward all the info to him. Thank you for all the input and if you have any more to add please keep them coming...We need all the help we can get.

SB

If he is in VNY stilll have him contact DR E S (I'll PM u the info)

check out leftseat.com

he is a contributor and knows his stuff, he is an old guy but very very sharp, don't let his age fool you. This guy was involved in the Bob Hoover case and I use him personally...

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back