Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetstar1

Hi,

I know this has been covered in here before but i need to know this before i try and apply for my medical again.

Situation: I failed/forgot to report a dui to the FAA that happened about 12 yrs ago. I have done my own backround check and it is not on the DMV anymore but shows up on the FBI record as an arrest. I am thinking of applying again in the future and need to know what are my options. This is also not on the NDR records i definatley checked and i come back clean with them. Any suggestions would be great. I know this is rather messed up but with all the backround sh**t these days i just want to make sure my options here

Thanks

Jetstar1

Last edited:
If you're a member of AOPA, get their legal plan and ask them.. They may be able to help with a letter for you to give to the examiner, or to the regional office.

jetstar1 said:
I failed/forgot to report a dui to the FAA that happened about 12 yrs ago.

...hmmm, were you a cerificated pilot at the time? Hve you made other medical apps without disclosing the truth? If so, you need legal help. Get a good aviation attorney (AOPA) and see if he can pave the way with a song-and-dance about "forgetting".

Since it is not in the DMV records, I am guessing it won't come up if you stay squeaky clean, but if you do anything that prompts a full investigation, they will check with the FBI.

H[a]ve you made other medical apps without disclosing the truth?
If this part is, in fact, true, and if that's why you were denied last time (i.e. they caught the ommission), you need to understand that Federal Judges are handing out active federal prison sentences for this exact offense in the wake of 9/11. There's one person near me who got six months for an ommission on his stdent medical, and they've handed out more time than that for active pilots who got nailed. I am not exaggerating. If all they did was deny your medical ... count your blessings, my friend. :eek:

All that said though, with the right aviation attorney anything is possible. :)

Minh

I was never denied my medical i was not an active pilot at the time of the incedent. But in order to move forward this is why i am posting. Like i said it was not sent to the NDR i have a written letter of my record with them recently.

jetstar1 said:
I failed/forgot to report a dui to the FAA
Sorry, but your use of the word forgot sorta' ruins your cred. The Friendly Aviators Association sure won't buy it.
But since you 'failed' to report it, get legal counsel; AOPA or otherwise. Right away.

jetstar1 said:
I have done my own backround check and it is not on the DMV anymore but shows up on the FBI record.
Jetstar1
What FBI record?

I personally would not worry about it. Employers cant check FBI records, with the exception of military/government that requires high level clearance. DMVS are fair game.

If you preform an action that requires the FAA/NTSB/DOT/ETC to do a FBI background check on you , then more than likely your flying career is over.

A membership with AOPA is always a good idea.

Latest resources

Back