FAA Air Carrier Inspector Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

n5374f

Okay, let's really stir things up, Does anybody know what is going on with all the openings at the FAA for Air Carrier and General Aviation Inspectors. Any body out there have any comments of what it is like working for the FAA. Pay, Benefits, etc...

Whew, I'm all stirred up over this one! Its a gov't job. If you like that kind of work, and want to be on the other side of the fence then go for it.

There have been openings there for a long time. I have been applying and talking with them for 5 years now. I think that my problem(I hope anyway) is, I am only requesting South Florida, and that area is very hard to get hired into. On the positive side, my application was finally forwarded to 3 different FSDOs in the last 2 months. But that was only after I expanded the base requirement.

AK

I applied back in 2003 for the Air Carrier Ops job. I had all the quals (or at least I thought I did) but kept getting a preformatted "Your application did not show evidence that you meet... yadda yadda yadda". I talked with some folks in the profession, polished up my application, resubmit and got the same response. Gave up after 3 tries.

Filling out those Federal job apps is a real pain in the keyster. You spend hours working on it all the while knowing you are not gonna get the job. I can't believe that some of the federal employees I have dealt with were able to successfully make it through the hiring process.

Also, for a lot of those fed/state jobs, they already know who they want to hire, but they are required by law to post the position to the public.

Ma! How bout that Meatloaf!!!

Last edited:
Having been there, done, that, etc., it's not all what you may think it might be. Lots and lots of paperwork. Out of a 40 hr week, plan on 15-20 hrs. justifing what you are doing. Incredible buraucracy. Mgmnt. are somewhat in the know, but in many cases don't know the diffierence between flightline and clothesline. The higher you go the dumber they get. Plan on many meetings over meetings over meetings before you get to the real issues. Then, the issues are diluted before you can act because you don't want to upset the air carrier you are assigned to because you will end up in the boss' office, after they got their butts chewed by their boss', because you did your job. expect budget cuts because all the operating budget was transferred to ATC to cover their salaries. As an Air carrier ASI, you'll sit in the sim and the jumpseat for hours on end then back to the office to do paperwork and data entry in your computer. This is one of these jobs that you have to be careful for what you wish for. Remember flying the line and saying "I wish the FAA would do something about this or that". Well, chances are it already been recognized but there are not enough hours in a day to do it all. You will be doing the job of at least three inspectors and given the resouces of near to nothing. If you are a goal oriented person, expect to burn out real fast.

But if you still want a job there, get to know the FSDO manager by being a Safety Counselor, or DPE. Volunteer to put on Safety Seminars or help out at ones. Then let them know you've applied. Also it helps to put Alaska Region on your application then when you get there, start bidding ot get yourself where you want to be. All this helps to get your name known and end up on the "short" list. When I retire from where I'm at, I'm going back to get enough time for the retirement. (about 8 months).

Best of Luck!

great post Bus Driver. Thanks.

Fly safe!

Since it's a government job they have a points system and if you're a non-veteran white male............good luck.

Local Politics

I believe there are a bunch of opening in those positions, but for budget reasons no authorizations to fill those billets. Due to an never ending progression of jobs that ended, I tried getting on for years. I kept filling out applications and visiting FSDO's, only to find out the place I had visited 3 months ago got an authorization to fill two open billets, and they hired a guy from the manager's guard unit with no 121 expereince and a girl who had to rent a C-150 for 50 hrs to get her 100 hrs in the last year to meet the hiring requirements. Local polictics play a big part in hiring decisions. BTW I had the vet preference, but it really made no difference.

Last edited:
Bus Drvr got it right.

If your flying job is with a company who is going out of business, and a stable paycheck is critical to your quality of life, then the FAA may be the place for you.

All I can say is, I like it every other tuesday. (payday)

Latest resources

Back