Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FA jumpseat for pilots (Spirit Airlines)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

Maybe a pilot for Spirit can shed some light on this... I was jumpseating on Spirit the other day and I was talking to a Spirit Captain. He told me that offline jumpseating pilots can use the extra Flight Attendant jumpseat if all the seats are full. If this is your official policy, then great. But I had never heard of it before this...

The FA jumpseat is currently open for offline jumpseaters at NK. I do always give my "A" flight attendent the opportunity to deny the seat, but I strongly request that the FA go along. I have yet had the "A" refuse. I always help the FA's cross seat belts etc,when I am finished up front, as a way to gain favor in case I need to twist their arm for something like letting an offline pilot ride the FA jumpseat.
regards,
8N

Thanks Buddy. That's a great deal that you guys let offline pilots use the extra FA jumpseat. Do any other airlines offer this (like AirTran)?

Maybe you can help me with one other thing... I get the random search at the gate EVERY SINGLE TIME I jumpseat with you guys. I called your 800 reservations number to make a standby listing 24 hours in advance and they said that you can't make a standby listing. Any ideas on how to avoid the random search?

JetBlue has a similar policy. Two extra FA jumpseats in back for traveling crewmembers, FA's or Pilots.

Clarification

I was under the impression that jetBlue allowed any crewmember (pilot or FA) from any airline to occupy any open seat in the cabin. Was this never the policy, has the policy changed post-9/11 or is it the policy and is still in effect? I don't plan to be travelling on them anytime soon, but it's still nice to know just in case...

Last edited:
at spirit we try to help you guy's as much as we can almost always we find a way to get a commuter on board.

ATL2CDG

To answer your question, yes. However, if there aren't any cabin seats available, we'll put FAs and pilots in the FA jumpseats on a first come first serve basis at jetBlue.

Thank you.

Is there a number we have to call to list, or is it just first come, first served (with, I'd assume priority to pilots) at the gate?

flight-crew said:
Thanks Buddy. That's a great deal that you guys let offline pilots use the extra FA jumpseat. Do any other airlines offer this (like AirTran)?

Maybe you can help me with one other thing... I get the random search at the gate EVERY SINGLE TIME I jumpseat with you guys. I called your 800 reservations number to make a standby listing 24 hours in advance and they said that you can't make a standby listing. Any ideas on how to avoid the random search?

Sorry man. Spirit is not yet sophisticated enough to have that kind of capability. However, we are currently revamping the jumpseat system and developing some sort of res system for our own people, maybe someday they will include offlines in such a system.

As far as the "random" secondary screening goes, I will send a note to our js coordinator and request that we attempt to communicate to our agents the secondary screening guidelines that were published by ALPA. I didn't know that this was happening on a regular basis. Please send me a PM, I want more details.
regards
8N

Latest resources

Back