Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starchkr

New Bus driver
I have a question about PIC time for Frontier. Do they consider my time as sole manipulator of controls (with type) as PIC time or do they want to see PIC time as the person in charge of the a/c? I know they do not specifically state that they want any PIC turbine, just turbine...I was just wondering for later down the road.

How do you guys log this in your log books? I have two columns in mine. PIC and SIC.

As long as I have been flying airplanes, PIC is when you are in command of the aircraft and responsible for it. (ie. you are the Captain)

SIC has always been when I am Second In Command (ie. First Officer)

They way I think of it is order of responsibility. The PIC has final authority and command of the ship. If he becomes incapacitated, the SIC is next in command. If he also dies, then the FE is now in command (God help us...just kidding FE's)

Now I think the military does it different, and everyone logs PIC time...but I am not sure...it seems like most military guys come out with around 3000 hours and 2990 of it is PIC.

I have been seeing people lately ask if they can log PIC when they are sole manipulator of the controls, but I don't really think this is what the airlines are concerned with (even though it says something about that in the FAR)

Anyway, I am just wondering if I have been doing it wrong the last 10 years...if so I have about 5 times more PIC then I am putting on my resume...

furloughfodder said:
How do you guys log this in your log books? I have two columns in mine. PIC and SIC.
I have always logged it as SIC when I wasn't the one that signed for the aircraft....even though I was typed and sole manipulator. Then again, for me, it makes very little difference...I have a bit over 300 hours of SIC, the rest PIC. Right place, right time. All my PIC time is time during which I was responsible for the aircraft...none of it as "PIC acting under supervision of the PIC". Logging such time is totally legal, but most of the airlines have their own rules separate from the way the FAA looks at it.

Thanks for the replies. I too have been wondering how to log it exactly. I think for now i will make a separate line for the "sole manipulator of the controls PIC", and just keep that completely separate from everything else just in case they say it can be counted as PIC. However for all intents and purposes I will just keep loging it all as SIC to be safe.

I know this has been flogged before but here's my $.02.

In a 121 or 135 envrionment, if you are listed as Captain, you get the PIC time. Unless your flight is designated as pt. 91, you really can't do anything else.

I'm now at a 91 operation and everyone is a "captain". We do have designated "trip captains" but that is more for responsibility when dealing with the pax. When I fly, I log PIC. I'm making the decisions and my name is on the flight plan.TC

Latest resources

Back