• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F117

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope, 1 was destroyed to see how hard it would be, some are gate guards, and the rest are in hangars at Tonopah with the wings taken off

One of my friends was a Sq Commander in GW1 on the F-117. He might very well have been the first one of them across the Iraq border that night.

I mean first across in an airplane that night. The helo guys did a bang up job on those radars before the massive ingress.

some of the pilots and navs are still flying
Navs? What navs? Why wouldn't the pilots still be flying? You don't get put out to pasture when your airframe goes away.
The helo guys did a bang up job on those radars before the massive ingress.
You're joking right. Are you suggesting the helos cleared the way for the F-117 to ingress. I don't think they were too worried about little search radars on the border. Its the SAM radars they were concerned about.
I remember still seeing a lot of "S"s on my RWR the next day. Many search radars out there.

I know the F-117s would have ingressed just fine But I am sure that initial strike on the border area radars, led by the USAF MH-53s and AH-64s definitely helped out in creating a corridor there that Iraq was blind

Latest resources

Back