F/O's low pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

From "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann written in 1961 referring to his early days at American Airlines in 1938. "We did not begin to fly because we might make more money with an airplane than we might if otherwise employed. Many of us are barely able to afford shelter and three meals a day; indeed some are existing on borrowed money, or have sold their personal possessions in order to manage through this training period. Yet we should each have been completely uninterested if the company had offered other employment". Goes to show this is not something new to the industry.

Last edited:
One of my favorite books of all time. Re-read it nearly once a year. Shows how little things change over the years.

pilotyip said:
"...Yet we should each have been completely uninterested if the company had offered other employment". Goes to show this is not something new to the industry.

I should hope not. If we don't have to work for it, then what the hell is it worth anyway?

-Goose

Last edited:
NuGuy said:
He also said that those who openly defy the "numbers" might as well become hyenias.

NU
Does he say if it's ok to be a hyenia that doesn't defy the "numbers"?

NuGuy said:
He also said that those who openly defy the "numbers" might as well become hyenias.

NU

Glad I see someone else picked up on this. Weather it works out on or not I don't know but we all need to have some kind of "guideline" (for lack of a better word) to go by in this bizz and I've kept that in my pocket. One of the reasons i've stuck it out with U instead of jumping ship. Only time will tell.

I concur, one of the best aviation books ever written. Anybody ever read Gann's autobiography? I believe it was called "Hostage to Fortune". I'm sure you could find it on the internet somewhere, but outside of that, the only place I've ever seen it is the gift shop at Old Rhinebeck a few years back. It's a good book, not as good as Fate is the Hunter, but it talks about all the other things he did in his life aside from flying. So if you're interested in learning more about the author, check it out, he did alot of interesting things in his life.

Lear, I hope you don't think I'm a hyena for the move I made! After all, I gave up my 5 years to start practically all over.

pilotyip said:
From "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann written in 1961 referring to his early days at American Airlines in 1938. "We did not begin to fly because we might make more money with an airplane than we might if otherwise employed. Many of us are barely able to afford shelter and three meals a day; indeed some are existing on borrowed money, or have sold their personal possessions in order to manage through this training period. Yet we should each have been completely uninterested if the company had offered other employment". Goes to show this is not something new to the industry.

Yip,

The first question that comes to my mind after reading this quote is: Was Gann willing to endure the circumstances described at American because there was a big-enough carrot on the end of the stick ( the American stick ) to make a certain long term reward worth the short-term sacrifice ?

No sob story on my part, but our first year pay at Delta was $600/mo in '73. The guys with families had a tough go in that year. But...the long term certainty was worth the short-term sacrifice. Would any of us have passed up at job at Delta because the first year pay was bad ? No.....

I'm not sure some poor kid working for some scummy freight outfit at food stamp wages can enjoy the same expectation and feel the sacrifice has indentifiable benefits.

That job is a steppingstone...agreed. But, the way one now views the sacrifice will certainly be prompted by different circumstances from that of Gann.

As an aside: A few years ago in recurrent, Gann's name came up in casual conversation and a young guy asked if he flew for Delta. I was, and still am, horrified by that question.

Bafan, you are right about the outcome of Gann's low pay, he even stated that is his book as why he was doing it. My post was just to show the the talk about low pay for F/O's was nothing new. I see you flew the DC-3 also and expereinced the adventure

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back