F/O's low pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yip,

I hear ya. The DC3 experience was all too brief..."lost" describes me; "patient" describes the captains.

As very interesting aside to his book: Of all the people he mentioned in FitH, look how many were dead by the end.

Nu

I adored Fate is the Hunter until I read "Moondog's Academy of the Air and other Aviation Disasters"

Every time I start to feel down-in-the-dumps about MY career, I read that book and everything seems pretty darned OK...

I have to admit though that I forgot Gann's quote: "those who openly defy the "numbers" might as well become hyenias."

As one who has attempted to defy the numbers time and time again, I can honestly say that there is truth to that statement. You simply can't argue with the fates. Frustrating isn't it?

Senority numbers

OK, so he's talking about people upgrading out of order/ scab-bing?

urflyingme?! said:
OK, so he's talking about people upgrading out of order/ scab-bing?

You really ought to read the book...he is a million times more eloquent than any of us.

But to answer your question: No. What he was saying is that in this industry, if you try to hop around looking for the next best thing, you are very often disappointed, and you do yourself more harm than good.

For example: You are sitting at airline "a" making ok money, but upgrade seems a bit long. You hear that airline "b" is upgrading faster, even taking into account starting all over. So you jump over there, and as soon as you do, airline "b" stops its big growth for one reason or another, and if you had stayed at "a", you would have been better off and saved yourself a bunch of hassle.

In other words, promises mean d!ck in this business. Don't believe it until your name is in the logbook and the gear is in the well.

Nu

Aha "A bird in the hand..." and so on.
This book is definately on the buy list.

Wow. Didn't realize Delta paid like that in 1973. That's about what my base pay was as a TV cameraman right out of high school in 1973 (TV is another industry where starting wages aren't much). But after a year at that local non-union station I was able to join the union and my hourly pay for union work just about doubled.

F/O pay at Scenic in 1992 was $900/month, $1100/month if you had an ATP. Starting pay for captains was $23,000/year on the good ol' DHC-6-300/barf bag bomber/kool aid bomber/"Vistaliner".

Yeah, FotH is a great book. "The High and the Mighty" and "The Left Seat" are favorites of mine too. BTW the rights to the film version of "The High and the Mighty" have been negotiated and currently the film is undergoing restoration. A DVD release is in the works, finally after all these years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back