• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F/O jobs in FarEast??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Generally you would need a good couple thousand hours in turboprop or small jets to even qualify for an F.O. job in Asia. Your best bet may be Cathay as a Second Officer. Go to their website to see what the requirements are. There is a newish airline in Hong Kong flying CRJs, that may be another chance. Rumours that the new private airline in China, Spring or OK, hired some low time European pilot(s).

As a low time pilot you would probably have to go there in person and walk into these places to get any response. You may try going to the new flight school in China, Pan Am affiliated if I recall correctly. Work there and get some of the good inside scoop on start-ups and you may get lucky. The GM/DO posts over on jetcareers.com

I generally warn people about working in Asia as an F.O. I would never do it. Life is too short to put up with the lack of CRM culture that Asian airlines display ( excepting Cathay and possibly Dragon ). OTOH going as a Captain is okay.

Typhoonpilot

Typhoon,

I oftentimes see jobs, usually for A320 or B737 pilots in Asia. Unfortunately these require a type rating and 500hrs in type, which I don't have. Know of any companies that are taking US dudes with ATP's but no types? And whats the name of that newish CRJ operator in Hong Kong.

Thanks,

Nelson

Thanks Cpt. U

What do you think of these guys and a chance at Cathay S.O. positions ?

FCNelson said:
Typhoon,

I oftentimes see jobs, usually for A320 or B737 pilots in Asia. Unfortunately these require a type rating and 500hrs in type, which I don't have. Know of any companies that are taking US dudes with ATP's but no types? And whats the name of that newish CRJ operator in Hong Kong.

Thanks,

Nelson

Most places require time in type. If they don't require time in type they will almost invariably require you to sign a Bond ( training contract ). Bonds aren't too bad if their duration is reasonable and the amount is reasonable. You would only be on the hook if you skipped out before the Bond agreement period ended. That is why I say the time needs to be reasonable.

Honestly though, I haven't been paying real close attention to who requires time in type. There are a lot of operators hiring in Asia, including India, as well as the Middle East.

TP

CX S/O positions are currently going to guys with:
  • >3000 hrs TT. IFR, Multi, ATP, 1000 hrs Turboprop or complex twin command time.
  • CX does NOT hire PFT types - anything less than 500 hours is discounted and "insignificant".
  • CX does not bond (illegal in HKG)
  • However...A CX affiliate, Air Hong Kong (the DHL franchise 50% owned by CX) http://www.airhongkong.com.hk/ahk/en/index.jsp does hire non-rated low timers, but as it's crews are all SIN based, it bonds new hires and pays appalingly low wages. If you're desperate for that shiny new jet right seat (with a view to moving on one day) maybe this could be for you. BE WARNED - no benefits, no pension, no medical, no housing, no nuttin' - just a low, low salary. As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me what pilots are doing to their own profession, selling out to fly rubberdogsh!t out of HKG...

Last edited:
Right now while we in the US are stuck in what can only be called the "Great Depresion" of Aviation, things are looking pretty healthy in the Far East. There are numerous operators that are looking for pilots and here is a list of what I know:

Hong Kong:

CX - been discussed at great length, do a search and you'll find all you ever wanted to know and then some.

CR Airways: Flys CRJ200/700's. Pay is terrible for HKG and most of the guys who've gone there are simply looking for a stepping stone. They'll take FAA tickets but don't expect the kind of work rules and conditions we get here. Well some of us and you're on your own when it comes to studying for the HKCAD exams.

Hong Kong Express: Operates the EMB170's. They've taken mostly Australian and European pilots so I'm not sure what they feel about FAA pilots.

Taiwan:

EVA: is hiring but the pay isn't good and the work conditions are again not that great.

China Airlines: Hiring for the 744, looking for anyone that has a pulse. The pay and conditions decrease every year that goes by and is about $2000 a month less than it was 2 years ago. You'll be bonded for 4 years, contract is for 5. As Undie will tell you they're known as "Die-Nasty".

Japan:

All the contracts at NCA, Jalways, JAL and ANA require you to have a type. Even on something as small as a Citation. The reason for this is that JCAB won't validate an FAA ticket without a type on something. Money is pretty good but it's whole different world when it comes to CRM. Ask Typhoon about the captain he saw slap an FO's hand away from the FCP. Not because he was doing anything wrong, just wasn't the Captains way!

India: A variety of new operators have sprung up using A320's mostly. They're looking for typed Airbus Captains and will pay about $10,000 a month. Check climbto350.com.

Posted on www.skyjobs.net

Title: EMB-120 Brasilia Pilots - Japan 11/4/2005Company: HiedikoProduct/Service: Location: Sapporo, JapanRequired Travel: NoneJob Type: Full-timeEmployment Type: PermanentDescription: New start-up Japanese Airline has immediate need for 2 pilot to relocate to Japan and act as a Pilot-in-Command aircraft captain. We have been approved as a Category C scheduled airline by the Japan Civil Aviation Bureau on October 30, 2005. Operations are to commence on Feburary 1, 2006 with a fleet of 3 Emb120. We are seeking at least two (2) pilots to act as Pilot-in-Command (Aircraft Captain) with airline experience to meet this urgent schedule. Requirements: These pilots must have a ATP rating and be able to pass a written exam of JCAB (Japan Civil Aviation Bureau) which is to be administered in December, 2005. At least a one year relocation commitment is required with the desire the pilot could stay in Japan for a longer period. Minimum Requirements: Airline Transport Pilot Certificate 3000 hrs. total time, 2000 hrs. multi-eng., 1000 hrs. turbine High School Diploma/College Degree preferred FAA First Class Medical Certificate

Latest resources

Back