• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F/A-18F breaks wire and ends up wet...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good on the crew of the HS-14 SH-60F for the rescue!

"LIGHTNING STRIKES! DAY AND NIGHT!"

Kaman said:
Good on the crew of the HS-14 SH-60F for the rescue!

"LIGHTNING STRIKES! DAY AND NIGHT!"

I watched you guys pull an F-14 crew out of the drink in the Persian Gulf back in '99. As a matter of fact we were sitting in line for the catipult. When I saw those guys punch out I was like well I guess we're not flying tonight. Next thing I know they spin the guys in front of us off and rush us up there. The whole time I'm thinking "I can't belive they're gonna make us fly after seeing that!" All gas airborne I guess! Anyway... That crew did quite the job getting those guys out.

Hi there,

I was on that cruise...So much for the Fleet-Ex and back to Yoko! At least we got Perth and Pattaya out of the deal...Anyway, fly safe out there and may your passes all be underlined OK-3...The "Auto-dog" machine be full in the dirty shirt!

regards,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

Kaman said:
Hi there,

I was on that cruise...So much for the Fleet-Ex and back to Yoko! At least we got Perth and Pattaya out of the deal...Anyway, fly safe out there and may your passes all be underlined OK-3...The "Auto-dog" machine be full in the dirty shirt!

regards,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

Kaman, Rhinodriver,

On that cruise also! Of course I was one of the guys in marshal watching my fuel go away and waiting on Rhinodriver to get airboure to save the day. Even after getting fuel that night 304 was tank state on the ball.

Take care both of you.
J

Are the recue helicopters and crews in an alert condition when the carrier is launching and recovering? How long to crank and liftoff?

Plane Guard

Visceral said:
Are the recue helicopters and crews in an alert condition when the carrier is launching and recovering? How long to crank and liftoff?

There is always a helicopter crew on alert any time the ship is underway. I want to say there is always a crew on alert 30 (somebody back me up on that) in case somebody falls over the side. In that case a "man overboard" is called over the ship's intercom and the crew gets airborne ASAP to fish that person out.

Whenever there are flight ops going on there is always a helicopter airborne. They will be the first to launch and last to recover and will stay within about 5 miles of the boat. They are refered to as "the plane guard" and in theory would be on station in a matter of seconds if there was a mishap during launch or recovery.

Latest resources

Back